Help Creating Fedora live CD with a standard Kickstart file

Hello ! I am quite new to Fedora.

I am using the Live Fedora Workstation (F33) version and i would like to create a custom spin using livecd-creator.
Nothing fancy to start with, just the french version of F33 live using:

/usr/share/spin-kickstarts/l10n/fedora-live-workstation-fr_FR.ks

Note: It might be suggested to turn SELinux from Enabled to Permissive prior to launch livecd-creator; but on a LiveCD I can’t find the command without having to reboot, obviously. Maybe a kernel command parameter ?

Mainly I stumble on those issues:
(1) I have read the Create Live CD documentation, hence:

sudo livecd-creator --verbose --config=/usr/share/spin-kickstarts/l10n/fedora-live-workstation-fr_FR.ks --fslabel=Fedora-LiveCD_FR --cache=/mnt/livecdtools/

With the following errors:

Using title ‘Fedora Livecd_Fr’ and product ‘Fedora Livecd_Fr’
kickstart error: Failed to parse kickstart file ‘file:///usr/share/spin-kickstarts/l10n/fedora-live-workstation-fr_FR.ks’ : The following problem occurred on line 0 of the kickstart file:

Unable to open input kickstart file: Error opening file: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘…/fedora-live-workstation.ks’

(2) Edited the fedora-live-workstation-fr_FR.ks to replace ‘…/fedora-live-workstation.ks’ with absolute path ‘/usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-live-workstation.ks’

(3) I used ksflatten to workaround the multiple “part /” issue stipulation
ksflatten --config /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/l10n/fedora-live-workstation-fr_FR.ks -o ~/Documents/flat-fedora-live-workstation-fr_FR.ks

/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pykickstart/commands/partition.py:448: KickstartParseWarning: A partition with the mountpoint / has already been defined.
warnings.warn(_(“A partition with the mountpoint %s has already been defined.”) % pd.mountpoint, KickstartParseWarning)

# Disk partitioning information
part / --fstype=“ext4” --size=5120
part / --size=6656

changed to

# Disk partitioning information
part / --fstype=“ext4” --size=6656

(4) Using livecd-creator , as specified in the Live CD documentation, I still got errors to generate a F33 LiveCD Workstation in French :

sudo livecd-creator --verbose --config=/home/liveuser/Documents/flat-fedora-live-workstation-fr_FR.ks --fslabel=Fedora-F33-LiveCD-FR --cache=/mnt/livecdtools/
Using title ‘Fedora F33’ and product ‘Fedora F33’
Extending sparse file /var/tmp/imgcreate-i4_1gp79/tmp-b7elv33q/ext3fs.img to 6979321856
Losetup add /dev/loop10 mapping to /var/tmp/imgcreate-i4_1gp79/tmp-b7elv33q/ext3fs.img
Formating ext4 filesystem on /dev/loop10
Formating args: [‘mkfs.ext4’, ‘-F’, ‘-L’, ‘_Fedora-F33-LiveCD-FR’, ‘-m’, ‘1’, ‘-b’, ‘4096’, ‘/dev/loop10’]
Tuning filesystem on /dev/loop10
Mounting /dev/loop10 at /var/tmp/imgcreate-i4_1gp79/install_root
rawhide 1.2 MB/s | 73 MB 00:59
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:40 ago on dim. 27 déc. 2020 20:32:00.
selected group: core
selected group: anaconda-tools
selected group: base-x
selected group: firefox
selected group: fonts
selected group: gnome-desktop
selected group: guest-desktop-agents
selected group: hardware-support
selected group: libreoffice
selected group: multimedia
selected group: networkmanager-submodules
selected group: printing
selected group: workstation-product
excluding package: ‘ibus*’
excluding package: ‘gfs2-utils’
excluding package: ‘scim*’
excluding package: ‘reiserfs-utils’
excluding package: ‘iok’
excluding package: ‘m17n*’
selected package: ‘kernel’
selected package: ‘syslinux’
selected package: ‘dracut-live’
selected package: ‘anaconda’
selected package: ‘memtest86+’
selected package: ‘anaconda-install-env-deps’
selected package: ‘chkconfig’
selected package: ‘aajohan-comfortaa-fonts’
selected package: ‘langpacks-fr’
selected package: ‘initscripts’
selected package: ‘glibc-all-langpacks’
selected package: ‘kernel-modules’
selected package: ‘anaconda-live’
selected package: ‘kernel-modules-extra’
No match for group package “reiserfs-utils”
No match for group package “ibus-libpinyin”
No match for group package “ibus-qt”
No match for group package “ibus-kkc”
No match for group package “ibus-hangul”
No match for group package “xorg-x11-drv-armsoc”
No match for group package “ibus-libzhuyin”
No match for group package “powerpc-utils”
No match for group package “gfs2-utils”
No match for group package “ibus-m17n”
No match for group package “lsvpd”
No match for group package “ibus-typing-booster”
No match for group package “ibus-gtk3”
Error creating Live CD : Failed to build transaction :
Problem 1: package gnome-initial-setup-3.38.2-1.fc34.x86_64 requires libibus-1.0.so.5()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed

• conflicting requests
  • package ibus-libs-1.5.23-2.fc34.x86_64 is filtered out by exclude filtering
    Problem 2: package gnome-control-center-3.38.2-2.fc34.x86_64 requires libibus-1.0.so.5()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  • conflicting requests
  • package ibus-libs-1.5.23-2.fc34.x86_64 is filtered out by exclude filtering
    Problem 3: package gnome-shell-40.0~alpha-1.fc34.x86_64 requires ibus(x86-64) >= 1.5.2, but none of the providers can be installed
  • conflicting requests
  • package ibus-1.5.23-2.fc34.x86_64 is filtered out by exclude filtering
    Problem 4: package gnome-shell-extension-background-logo-3.37.3-2.fc33.noarch requires gnome-shell >= 3.37.3, but none of the providers can be installed
  • package gnome-shell-40.0~alpha-1.fc34.x86_64 requires ibus(x86-64) >= 1.5.2, but none of the providers can be installed
  • conflicting requests
    Problem 5: package chrome-gnome-shell-10.1-10.fc33.x86_64 requires gnome-shell, but none of the providers can be installed
  • package gnome-shell-40.0~alpha-1.fc34.x86_64 requires ibus(x86-64) >= 1.5.2, but none of the providers can be installed
  • conflicting requests
    Problem 6: package gnome-session-xsession-3.38.0-1.fc34.x86_64 requires gnome-shell, but none of the providers can be installed
  • conflicting requests
    Problem 7: package gnome-session-wayland-session-3.38.0-1.fc34.x86_64 requires gnome-shell, but none of the providers can be installed
  • conflicting requests
    Problem 8: package gdm-1:3.38.2.1-1.fc34.x86_64 requires gnome-shell, but none of the providers can be installed
  • cannot install the best candidate for the job
    Problem 9: package gnome-shell-extension-apps-menu-40.0~alpha-1.fc34.noarch requires gnome-shell-extension-common = 40.0~alpha-1.fc34, but none of the providers can be installed
  • package gnome-shell-extension-common-40.0~alpha-1.fc34.noarch requires gnome-shell >= 40.0~alpha, but none of the providers can be installed
  • package gnome-classic-session-40.0~alpha-1.fc34.noarch requires gnome-shell-extension-apps-menu = 40.0~alpha-1.fc34, but none of the providers can be installed
  • conflicting requests
    Unable to unmount /var/tmp/imgcreate-i4_1gp79/install_root/var/cache/dnf normally, using lazy unmount
    lazy umount succeeded on /var/tmp/imgcreate-i4_1gp79/install_root/var/cache/dnf
    lazy umount succeeded on /var/tmp/imgcreate-i4_1gp79/install_root/var/cache/dnf
    Unmounting directory /var/tmp/imgcreate-i4_1gp79/install_root
    Losetup remove /dev/loop10

How can I solve this ?
Thanks !

1 Like

If you didn’t get an SELinux error, that’s probably not the issue. The default SELinux policies are very functional these days, and the troubleshooter is very informative. The old, “just turn SELinux off” advice is deprecated. SELinux is complicated, but it’s great when you get to know it.

The reason your build is failing right now is that the french live kickstarter files exclude all ibus* packages, and ibus is a requirement for gnome-shell. You can determine this via
dnf repoquery --deplist --requires gnome-shell | grep ibus
or
dnf repoquery --whatrequires ibus

So, removing line #20 from fedora-live-workstation-fr_FR.ks is the first thing you should do to resolve this problem.

I don’t recommend modifying the default kickstarter templates. Instead, I recommend copying all of the templates that you want to use to a new directory in your home folder. I then recommend changing the owner of these files to your user.

I am not sure why you had the first problem. I did not try building that image, but be aware, those templates can be very old. The rpmfusion kickstarter templates is at least four years old and will not work without a lot of modification.

Also, note that the fedora-repo file defaults to rawhide. You may not desire this.

Thank you for your tips Andrico. I don’t know how to edit my post once it’s been answered.

To follow your recommendations

The kickstart templates are in fact very old. I am rather looking for the actual kickstart files used to create Fedora Live33 Workstation live for x86_64 (the latest release at the time - Jan’2021) that I can copy locally and modify a bit: changing language and timezone, adding extra packages.

The following documentation and Koji got me lost:
see previous link just above and this one:
https://docs.pagure.org/koji/image_build/

What is the actual kisckstart file Fedora Live33 Workstation live for x86_64 (the latest release at the time - Jan’2021), where to find it. ?

What command line for the licecd creation would work ?

Thanks !