Help needed for setting up RDP connection from Fedora 34 to Win 10 via OpenVPN

I was trying to setup a connection into a Windows 10 workstation with an existing RDP file and the nessesary keys that I used before on Windows 10. I imported the files on the Gnome Settings menu:

It looked good because the keys were directly imported but somehow it after enabling VPN it gets immediately disabled

e99201301c01209cf4567a16aaba93284f751a8e.png

Unfortunately, the Wiki page didn’t really help me. My suggestion is that I need to install something or enable VPN somehow but I couldn’t find anything about it. It’s a bit confusing to me because OpenVPN is already shown in the settings so I don’t know what is needed.

I am a beginner using Fedora since a few weeks - so I couldn’t even find the right place where the log files are located. I am happy for any help here.

Thank you a lot in advance!

1 Like

is it selinux problem? maybe

1 Like

Viewing and Managing Log Files :: Fedora Docs

This might give you an overview how to check logfiles.

3 Likes

You need to import the OVPN profile to NetworkManager.
Make sure to store the keys and certs in a specific location and repair SELinux labels:
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/ongoing-openvpn-issues/77049/6?u=vgaetera

RDP is a different protocol, you can import the RDP profile to Remmina.

1 Like

Thank you for the helo @ilikelinux @vgaetera ! Will have a read through

and your links as well. Doesn’t look so straight forward as I expected :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are there any easy to understand SELinux tutorials? I can’t find anything. The documentation is for my level a bit too technical…

Although the problem is related to SELinux, it doesn’t require deep understanding.
It should just work if you carefully follow the instructions given above.

I made a somewhat basic one a long time ago that may be of use.

That being said, I’m also wondering why you don’t have a modified MTU when you’re configuring a VPN connection. My first instinct would be to set it to 1300 to confirm you’re not getting packet fragmentation.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, post #3 was the solution that the connection was the solution. Not the network connection doesn’t stop immediately. I used the path

/home/username/.local/share/networkmanagement/certificates

Do I need to add the RDP file to SELinux as well? I still can’t get a connection. It’s working fine on my Windows partition.

1 Like

NetworkManager launches VPN clients in an explicitly isolated context.
Meanwhile, RDP clients should run unconfined in the current user context.

Does it mean the keys are in a wrong location? Or what should I do?

Verify that the client can reach the RDP port on the server:

nmap -sV -p port host 

Make sure the detected service version matches the server side.