How do I turn off the alert bell using the terminal?

Hi thre,

is there a way to turn off the alert bell using the terminal ?

Which terminal emulator (e.g., GNOME Terminal, Konsole, Qterminal, GNOME Terminator) on which GUI (e.g., KDE, GNOME, lxQt) ?

2 Likes

On Gnome but I want ito disable it on the whole system not only in the terminal.
If I am for an example using LIbre Office Writer and I am searching for text using the find option and then I delete the word that I don’t hear the alert bell.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your question a bit.

I am not an expert for GNOME, but I think the gnome-control-center may help you. If you open it, there is a category “notifications”, where you can turn off and on different alerts.

As I do not use gnome myself, I cannot tell you where the corresponding config files are stored.

1 Like

Nope, tried that but it does not work. The app isn’t listed . Somebody might know what to do .

gnome-control-center is to be opened with the terminal, not as a GUI app.

[user@localhost ~]# gnome-control-center

1 Like

I am aware of that and i did run in the terminal . Then the center opened and I can’t find the Libre Office Writter to turn off the bell.

Please try this:

*giving credit to the source of the article. Sorry I just took the first link with an available answer. Unfortunately it was N e w b e d e v. Sorry (Link changed)

2 Likes

What about muting “system sounds”?

Settings[1] → Sound

1. that is the mentioned gnome-control-center ↩︎

2 Likes

Thank you the article helped.

1 Like

The source of the article is this answer at unix.stackexchange.com. Many sites copy content and present it as their own. See discussion of whether it is legit.

2 Likes