How to add programs to GNOME's software list?

I use Fedora 34, GNOME 40.3.

I want to add a program which I have installed through its website to GNOME’s software list, so I will be able to open it quickly without using terminal.

I have placed files of the program in /opt folder and I have added a symbolic link of the program in to /usr/bin folder.

I want to see the program here:

1 Like

Hi @ersinware , welcome to the forum.

You need to place a .desktop file for your application in ~/.local/share/applications. It’s often easiest to copy a desktop file that is shipped in some package and modify it. For example: /usr/share/applications/org.gnome.gedit.desktop

Please take a look at these related posts also:

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/how-to-add-menu-item/76523?u=ankursinha

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/cant-create-new-entries-in-launcher-menu/75378?u=ankursinha

3 Likes

Hello @ankursinha , thank you.

I did it but when the application opened, 2 different icon appears as seen in the screenshot. I want it to appear only one when I opened it, in the second slot of my favorite applications. How can I do it?

Here is my webstorm.desktop file, located in .local/share/applications file:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Web Storm
Comment=The smartest JavaScript IDE
# Translators: Search terms to find this application. Do NOT translate or localize the semicolons! The list MUST also end with a semicolon!
Keywords=webstorm;
Exec=/opt/webstorm/bin/webstorm.sh
# Translators: Do NOT translate or transliterate this text (this is an icon file name)!
Icon=/opt/webstorm/bin/webstorm.svg
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Development;IDE;
StartupNotify=true
DBusActivatable=true
X-GNOME-UsesNotifications=true

In my opinion, @ersinware, you can use Alacarte, which is easier to use than other methods. It is an old application, however, it works. Just
-install : sudo dnf install alacarte from the terminal
-execute it
-create a new item, and add all the necessary information, such as name, command and comment
-you’ve done the job

I hope this could help you

2 Likes

Thanks for your help, @gpanebianco . Unfortunately, it did not work. The result is the same.

Hi, I think you have to add one more line:

StartupWMClass=jetbrains-pycharm-ce

I tried commenting this line out and the result was very similar to what happens on your PC:

Here is the complete entry for Pycharm on my laptop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=PyCharm Community Edition
GenericName=The intelligent Python IDE
Exec=pycharm-community
Terminal=false
Icon=pycharm-community
Type=Application
StartupWMClass=jetbrains-pycharm-ce
MimeType=text/plain;application/x-python-code;text/x-python;application/xml;text/markdown;

Please note that the entry above is for Pycharm. I am not sure what the WM Class for WebStorm should be. However, I found this on github. Maybe try to add the missing ones to your .desktop file.

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=WebStorm
Icon=/home/jeffshee/.local/share/JetBrains/Toolbox/apps/WebStorm/ch-0/.icon.svg
Exec="/home/jeffshee/.local/share/JetBrains/Toolbox/apps/WebStorm/ch-0/183.5912.23/bin/webstorm.sh" %f
Comment=The smartest JavaScript IDE
Terminal=false
StartupWMClass=jetbrains-webstorm

By the way, I installed Pycharm from Gnome Software and I can see that WebStorm is available. I believe if you install it from there it would be configured already. Cheers.

2 Likes

OK now. Thank you very much.
By the way, when it is installed via Gnome Software, it runs on Flatpak environment. I have experienced some problems about file access while using it through Flatpak. Therefore, I have installed its official release.

1 Like