How to change repo from update kernel

I was testing enabling the vanilla kernel version with the command:

sudo curl -s https://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/thl/kernel-vanilla.repo | sudo tee /etc/yum.repos.d/kernel-vanilla.repo

sudo dnf config-manager --set-enabled kernel-vanilla-stable

However, now I would like to go back to the official fedora kernel version, as the vanilla repos are updated very often, and some applications like virtualbox, still don’t update and cause them to not work properly.

I have already disabled the repos, and I have left them like that for a while, however they do not receive the updates of the new versions of the official kernel, I think that maybe it should be a long time before I receive them or I should apply another change?

sudo dnf config-manager --set-disabled kernel-vanilla-stable

Could someone help me how to do it please? Thank you.

If you do dnf list installed kernel it should show the currently installed kernel versions.

F37 is currently at 6.0.14 so any newer kernel versions would interfere with updates by the normal channels.

You can actually force dnf to install the latest fedora kernel with sudo dnf install kernel*6.0.14* --exclude=*debug*. You may wish to exclude additional specific kernel packages that you don’t need, (like I showed for the debug versions) and anything else that you deem unnecessary.

Once the latest fedora kernel is installed and booted then you can remove any other kernels that you decide are unnecessary.

2 Likes

After rebooting the device, see the list of kernel options in bootloader

If that image is from the system you are using and having a problem with then it really is no wonder that it has a problem.

Ubuntu 8.04 is from ~2008 (14 years ago) and kernel 2.6 has been out of use for years.

You are posting on the ask fedora forum so it seems your OS on the system where it seems you are having problems is so far behind on version and so far out of the fedora realm that we likely cannot assist.

Have you tried on the ubuntu forums? https://askubuntu.com/

That image was from wikipedia to show @ferb where it would give you kernel options so you can rollback to a previous version of the kernel.
I have 6.0.15, 6.0.14 and 6.0.13 on my system.
Not my actual system @computersavvy .

Thank you for your comments. @computersavvy @zanef
I think I did not explain myself well, I will try to explain myself better.
Currently the grub list shows me the following kernel versions;

• kernel-6.1.1-225.vanilla.1.fc37.x86_64
  • kernel-6.0.14-350.vanilla.1.fc37.x86_64
  • kernel-6.0.13-350.vanilla.1.fc37.x86_64

What I need is to stop receiving kernel updates from the vanilla repository and go back to receiving updates from the official Fedora repositories.

-I already disabled the vanilla repository.

But for some reason, it keeps updating from the vanilla repository, I hope I have explained a little better now.

Thanks.

Try using
rm /etc/yum.repos.d/file_name.repo
Where file_name is the name of the .repo file.
This will remove a repo directly from the file system.
Just make sure to be root user.

For more info:

If it were actually disabled then it would not ever update from there.
The suggestion above will permanently remove that repo.

Note that fedora 37 does not have a 6.1 kernel so it cannot update from fedora at present with the newer kernel already installed.
You can however, after disabling the repo as noted above, boot from the 6.0.14 kernel then run sudo dnf remove kernel*6.1.1* followed by sudo dnf upgrade kernel* and it should pull in the fedora 6.0.15 kernel packages for you.

Is it possible that you may have added an exclude for the kernel from the fedora repos into /etc/dnf/dnf.conf?

1 Like