How to delete Nouveau so I can install Nvidia driver

Thanks xtym. One last question, it says to " Login, connect to the internet, and open the software app. Click Add-ons> Hardware Drivers> NVIDIA Linux Graphics Driver> Install.". Given I am running KDE, I don’t have the software app, but Discover. As I go to Discover, I can’t find the NVIDIA driver anywhere. It seems to me as I tried this before in the Gnome setting, I was able to find it in the software app, but that’s not available in KDE. One of the other sites suggested running the program as root and /home/Ted/Downdloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-435.21.run but that did nothing. So, how do I start the program? Thanks again for all your time, it has been greatly appreciated

BTW, I downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-435.21.run and have it in my Downloads folder

I may have found my answer. Would I type the following to install?:

sudo dnf install akmod-nvidia # rhel/centos users can use kmod-nvidia instead
sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda #optional for cuda/nvdec/nvenc support
sudo dnf update -y

1 Like

Better?:
sudo dnf install akmod-nvidia
sudo dnf update -y

Hi @reno232 lets go a bit more slow ok :sweat_smile: ?

First disable secure boot, don’t install nothing until you have disabled it. it is very important step than you are missing and is the first thing than you need to do.

I did disable it. I ran the above to no avail apparently. It never came up with the Nvidia install screen and I still can’t find it is Discover. How would I properly run the file in my downloads?

Meaning the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-435.21.run file in my Downloads file

So, I tried installing from my downloads folder: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-435.21.run at which point it opens the installer but says I need to run it as root. Running the same command line in root does nothing. How can I run this driver in root?

If you didn’t it rightly you will go probably at a black screen and you will have not access at your graphic session. Sure you do a backup to another disk /usb in case. Secure boot is a extremely important step and it need be disable because : “Secure Boot currently blocks the kernel from loading the NVIDIA driver. It must be disabled before booting the OS”.

This tip of installation you should avoid, the rpm fusion package is the right way because it is maintained and supported to fedora.

If you did disable secure boot and you are sure about that you did (if you aren’t, Don’t continue the following procedure):

Type in terminal the followed commands in order:

1. First, open up a terminal, and update your package-manager (if you have not done so already), by running:

sudo dnf --refresh update

1. Next, reboot with the simple command:

reboot

1. Next, enable the NVIDIA driver repository:

sudo dnf config-manager --set-enabled rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver

1. Then, reboot again

reboot

1. After the reboot, verify the addition of the repository via the following command:

sudo dnf repository-packages rpmfusion-nonfree-nvidia-driver info

If several NVIDIA tools and their respective specs are loaded, then proceed to the next step. If not, you may have encountered an error when adding the new repository and you should give it another shot.

1. Installation of driver:

sudo dnf install akmod-nvidia

Note: Please remember to wait after the RPM transaction ends, until the kmod get built. This can take up to 5 minutes on some systems.

1. Update again:

sudo dnf update -y

1. Then reboot:

reboot

If you did disable secure boot and follow the steps, you should have the nvidia driver rightly installed. Like indicated a lot of times don’t install the driver if you didn’t understand something or secure boot is not disable.

Regards.

1 Like

Thanks again xtym. I followed your instructions to a tee. It seems as though installed fine. The problem is that Nouveau is still lurking in the background as I’m still getting Nouveau error messages on boot up. I suspect I need to disable Nouveau completely & in a way that the install program doesn’t fully.

Can you post the output of this command?

cat /proc/cmdline

1 Like

BOOT_IMAGE=(hd1,gpt2)/vmlinuz-5.3.8-300.fc31.x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost–live-root ro resume=/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost–live-swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora_localhost-live/root rd.lvm.lv=fedora_localhost-live/swap rhgb quiet rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.blacklist=nouveau nvidia-drm.modeset=1

One other thing, although it seems to have installed fine, I still can’t find the Nvidia program, it’s still not in Discover

nouveau is disabled (blacklisted) by these two parameters. I’d suggest to ignore nouveau error message you talk about. If you can catch it – share it, but in general you should be ok.

Basically, you don’t need for it to be in Discover. Command line installation you’ve done by @xtym’s instruction is a good way.

I’m 100% sure Gnome Software doesn’t show all the packages you’ve got installed on your system (or that you can install). It shows GUI applications, but only a subset of cli applications/packages.

I can’t vouch for Discover personally, but it may be doing the same thing. In the comments to the Fedora Magazine article I’ve linked above some people reported too that they couldn’t find NVidia driver packages in Discover.

Whenever I try & reboot, it goes to a screen that says the following:
2752.9608951 nouveau 0000:01:00.01 tmr: stalled at ffffffffffffffff repeated with different numbers about 10 times.
Then it just freezes and won’t complete the reboot, I have to manually shut it down.

One thing I noticed in the string is that modeset=1. It seems to me in all my researching that somewhere it stated that modeset needed to be 0. Some of the sites said nouveau can be a very tricky thing to shut down. Could this modeset thing be one of those tricky things?

I’ll post the error message after I reboot.

And when you shut it down, and then power it up – does it boot normally?

Please, post output of

sudo lspci -k | egrep -iA 3 "video|vga"

It’s setting modeset parameter for proprietary NVidia driver, not for nouveau.

BUT: I do remember having trouble with it on older NVidia GPU, and setting it to 0 instead of 1 did help me.

To test it out, you can easily temporarily change it just for current session in the grub menu. You need to select the boot menu entry you need (typically it’s the first one), then press [e]. You can now edit kernel parameters that are set for you – including nvidia-drm.modeset. Just set it to zero here, then press [Ctrl-x] to start you modified boot entry (there are keyboard shortcut hints in the lower part of the screen).

If this helps you we’ll set it permanently next.

1 Like

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (rev 07)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 169e
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

As for your next request, forgive my ignorance, but I have not idea how to get to the grub menu, let alone edit it

BTW, this is an ASUS Vivobook laptop with a dual graphics card system, one Intel, the other Nvidia

One other question, how would I get to the Nvidia control board to adjust & make changes, or is that not possible with this setup?