How to encrypt a file

How to encrypt a file or folder with gpg key in cli and gui i could not find a good way.

2 Likes

Generically, gpg is the easiest way to do this. If you’re running in ext4, there’s also a native way to do with via fs-crypt.

As far as GUI goes, there’s Gnome Seahorse - Apps/Seahorse - GNOME Wiki!

1 Like

I like Kleopatra

1 Like

I was using this already created a key pair but don’t really know how to do that stuff.

1 Like

I am on btrfs
Seahorse i have created the key pair now what i have to do. Can do give me a better explain.

Edit- i am on gnome workstation

To encrypt from the command line: gpg -c file.txt

Decrypt to stdout: gpg -d file.txt.gpg

Decrypt: gpg file.txt.gpg will automatically figure out what to do (decrypt to original file name).

Because gpg is a program with a lot of configuration items, I would highly recommend installing the documentation for it as well, and then you can read about it using info gnupg from the command line. You may also find this Quick start help guide useful.

1 Like

Is there a option to do it in gui like interface.

I don’t use it that way (with a GUI) but I understand that seahorse-nautilus is an extension for Nautilus (the GNOME file browser) that might offer what you’re looking for.

Okey i will try

With Fedora you can do sudo dnf install seahorse-nautilus to install it.

I think this feature shoud be added into the filemanage in the first place so no extension is needed.

That would contribute to bloat since the great majority of us never use that feature.

The idea from the beginning was and mostly still is that each app does one job and does it extremely well, thus keeping things simple and easy to maintain.

1 Like

But it is not a app or something just a feature that makes stuff easy for lot of us but it is just a option.

Yes true gnome apps are not like the kde apps which have all features but i think it is basic feature for excrypting files and checking hash that is also needed in to properties. Totally my opinion and i do think gnome devs works like you said. But it could be a feature request.

1 Like

Generally speaking, it’s handy to have a “only install what you want” policy, rather than having people (like me) have to uninstall features we don’t need or want. (Choosing that option tends to get software labeled as “bloatware!”) As I said, I do the encryption and decryption solely via command line. That way, if you need or want something additional, not only can you do so easily, but for many features and functions, there may be multiple options and you can select according to your needs and desires. Either way, I’m glad you found a solution to your question!