How to install Citrix Workspace on Fedora 33

Hi all,

I wanted to share the following information to assist remote workers that use Fedora and connect remotely to their employers website. The steps worked for me using Fedora 33. This was performed on a clean Fedora install.

What is Citrix Workspace?

Citrix Workspace is a digital workspace software platform developed by Citrix Systems that allows multiple users to remotely access and operate Microsoft Windows desktops running in a datacenter or a public or private cloud, via devices located elsewhere.

Citrix Workspace app for Linux enables users to access virtual desktops and hosted applications delivered by XenDesktop and XenApp from devices running the Linux operating system. Workspace app for Linux is available in English, German, Spanish, French, Japanese, Dutch, Portuguese (Brazil), Simplified Chinese, Russian and Italian.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Citrix, RedHat, or Fedora. This is NOT an advertisement. This is an attempt to share information on how to use Citrix Workspace with Fedora. This was written in hope to help others.

How to install Citrix Workspace on Fedora

Step 1: Download Citrix Workspace App for Linux

1a) Go to the following link to download the official Citrix Workspace app for Linux: Citrix Workspace app 2101 for Linux - Citrix

1b) Scroll down to “RPM Packages” then select "RedHat Full Package (Self-Service Support). Download the Citrix Workspace app for Linux by clicking “Download File”

1c) Scroll down to “USB Support Package” and download the package by selecting “Download File”

Step 2: Install the Citrix Workspace and USB packages

2a) Open a terminal and change directories to the Downloads folder then install the Citrix Workspace and usb packages using the dnf command:

dnf to install:

sudo dnf install ICAClient-<press tab to autocomplete>

2b) Install ctxusb next:

sudo dnf install ctxusb<press tab to autocomplete>

Step 3: Download your Employers Certificates:

3a) Go to your employers Citrix website

3b) View your employers Citrix certificates in Firefox by clicking the lock next to the address bar then selecting “View Certificate”.

3c) Download the “PEM (cert)” and “PEM (chain)” certificates.

3d) Switch to root user (or use sudo) and copy the .crt CA certificate files to /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts/ folder.

Step 4: Download the root certificate for your employers Certificate Authority

4a) Download the root certificate from the Certificate Authority who verified your employers certificates.

4b) Switch to root user (or use sudo) and copy the root certificate files to /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts/ folder.

Step 5: Run /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/util/ctx_rehash via terminal

5a) In a terminal run the following command to rehash the certificates:

sudo /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/util/ctx_rehash

Step 6: Launch the Citrix Workspace app and enter your credentials:

6a) Launch the Citrix Workspace app - the first screen will ask for your employers Citrix website

6b) The next screen will ask for your user name, password, and passcode. Enter your credentials then click “Sign In”.

That should be it - the steps above worked perfectly for me.

Topics:

Citrix Workspace on Fedora

Citrix Workspace on Fedora 33

3 Likes

Appreciate the helping post. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

EDIT - I am surprised as to how there are no COPRs for an application as popular as Citrix, that the users are recommended to get RPM packages from a third-party website. There must be one I think but sourcing RPMs from a third-party website is just as much as looked down upon as adding unsolicited repositories.

Plus

Please change

sudo dns install ctxusb

to

sudo dnf install ctxusb

and

`sudo /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/util/ctx_rehash`

to

sudo /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/util/ctx_rehash

(Is this an automated post?)

1 Like

I lately saw this topic with an Nick name as somesitecom. This time he wants to say something new about (Dandified Yum) ?!

Could be a smart person behind or a smarter robot who was made by a genius :slightly_smiling_face:

I liked the content but will dislike it temporarily (to not promote a robot).

1 Like

Because it is proprietary and closed-source - not only is it not possible to build it without the source, it may not even be allowed.

2 Likes

Updated! thank you for your feedback

1 Like

Would it be worthwhile to make a quick-doc (section Adding and managing software) out of the write-up?
Not sure how many Fedorians actually use Citrix Receiver (I personally don’t anymore but it always used to be a bit tricky to get it up and running (F24-F28))

4 Likes

Yeah that makes sense. Even if one could be tempted to put their big bad compiled output of a file inside an RPM and shellscript to execute it, COPR states that the contents packaged should be allowed.

[If someone has questions on what all is allowed, please read these User Documentation — COPR documentation and Licensing:Main - Fedora Project Wiki]

+1 to this.

A quick-doc of it would certainly help someone it is supposed to.

That’s why I wished Syngrafias could have been a thing in the Docs workflow as that could potentially make documentation editing and collaboration accessible to even those who are not well-versed with version control and Antora.

Sad life.

Just wanted to say thanks for writing this little guide, got me up and running after I hit a certificates issue when trying to connect to a client’s infrastructure.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: After an upgrade to Fedora 34 the mapped folder in the Citrix environment is not writeable anymore