How to limit dnf dragora update frequency?

How to make dragora update less frequently?
It is always showing in my top most CPU consuming tasks.
Pprocess name: dnfdragora-update.
Or how to check why it is consuming so much CPU?

Hello. I don’t use dnfdragora, but it seems that there is an option

Screenshot%20from%202019-05-10%2019-06-45

Did you try to change it?

man dnfdragora.yaml

update_interval
    integer
      Sets the interval in minutes, dnfdragora-updater continuously checks for new available updates.
1 Like

You can safely kill the dnfdragora-update process if it is consuming lots of CPU time. I’ve seen this a number of times myself.

I’m not sure how to modify the update frequency, but you can disable the process from starting automatically. Just remember that if you disable it, you won’t automatically be notified if there are updates available.

To disable dnfdragora-updater from automatically starting, the following should work:

copy /etc/xdg/autostart/org.mageia.dnfdragora-updater.desktop to $HOME/.config/autostart
Edit $HOME/.config/autostart/org.mageia.dnfdragora-updater.desktop and add the following line:

Hidden=true

The next time you log in, the app shouldn’t run.

I have to test your answers. I found a way to disable updater from GUI. Goto “Software” app. Settings hamburger menu → Update settings, and click “Automatic updates” to disable the setting.

–EDIT: as others have noted, this is not the same as dnf dragora.

But on which deskop environment are you? (xfce, gnome, …)

I am using Gnome3 on Fedora 29/30.

Well, so Software app is GNOME Software and not dnfdragora. Ergo, these Update setting are related to gnome software and not to dnfdragora, isn’t it?

2 Likes

If you are using GNOME desktop and using the GNOME Software app to manage updates, then dnfdragora isn’t needed. If you install additional desktop environments such as Cinnamon, that will also install dnfdragora. You could uninstall it unless you want to use it.

I primarily use Cinnamon desktop, but I install Workstation and then add Cinnamon rather than using the Cinnamon spin. I also use the GNOME Software app to manage updates rather than dnfdragora, although I sometimes will use dnf on the command line.

2 Likes