How to make a drive mount on boot?

I have a second drive that I use almost daily, and having to remount it every time i want to use anything on it is annoying. I’ve tried tutorials on YouTube but none really ever worked out for me.

I know its possible, I just don’t know the right steps. Any help?

1 Like

Let me give you a GUI-friendly guide:

1. Open GNOME Disks (or install it first if you don’t have it installed for some reason);
  2. Select the disk you want to mount on boot and select the little gears icon below the volumes graph;
  3. Click on “Edit mount options”;
  4. Uncheck the “User session defaults” button and check “mount on system initialization”;
  5. Select its mount point on the “mount point” section and its mount flags, click OK, input your password and you’re good to go!

Some of the naming might not be 100% correct, since english isn’t my first language and my system isn’t using it, but I hope it’s clear enough and I hope this works for you!

4 Likes

Wow thanks! That was much easier than some people on YouTube have you do it.

I’m glad it worked out for you too!

I have an extra HDD on my laptop that I use for media archival and games so I needed to learn how to do that too ages ago. Followed some similar guide in a forum post somewhere, and now it’s my time to pass that knowledge forward lol

1 Like

What are these defaults referring to and where can you set them?

That was referenced as one of the settings within gnome disks.
The detailed info in post 1 seems really clear on how to reach that point.

see Daimars answer

I was asking what the “User Session Defaults” checkbox in Gnome Disks means. It means the configuration in /etc/fstab is used

1 Like