How to make Grub Silent after unexpected shutdown?

Hi,

I set up a Fedora Server box, and set it up in a way so that it automatically logs in (through the OS config), and also automatically restarts after power loss, (through the BIOS). However, when there’s an unexpected power loss, and when the machine later restarts itself, it doesn’t automatically logs in. It gets stopped at the GRUB boot interface, and I have to press ENTER for it to log-in the OS.

How do I enforce grub to automatically log-in, even after such a power loss shutdown ?

Thanks,
Reg

:thinking: GRUB is not responsible of logging in.
Usually GRUB shows a menu of available OS/kernels with a countdown after that the OS boot process automatically starts.

1 Like

I think this is just a language / terminology issue — my interpretation is that the problem is that it doesn’t boot, but waits at the menu. (@regev, is that correct?)

Yep.

Normally it does boot, all automatic (including user login). But when there’s an unexpected power loss, it stops at the Grub menu, in which I have to press enter (because if I wait, it remains at the menu).

Whats the output of:

sudo cat /etc/default/grub 
sudo grub2-editenv list
1 Like

First one:

GRUB_TIMEOUT=3
GRUB_RECORDFAIL_TIMEOUT=3
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=“$(sed ‘s, release .*$,g’ /etc/system-release)”
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=“console”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“rd.lvm.lv=fedora_miwifi-rb08-srv/root rhgb quiet”
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=“true”
GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=true

Second:

saved_entry=2c0c8f7b253341edas0378ced6e8a812-6.1.6-200.fc37.x86_64
boot_success=1
boot_indeterminate=0

What about the efi and legacy boot options, are both enabled in BIOS? If yes, please switch the unused off to see if this changes something.