The problem here is always the same
vmmon doesn’t start well or doesn’t start at all, find a PATCH deal with changes in
vmnet.c because something breaks or add some parameters to that files or modify and IF, I suggest to you follow this Step:
- know what is your kernel version?:
- know your Vmware version or install the latest if you don’t have it, this don’t guarantee that you don’t find any issues.
- Try to find the PATCH for a specific KERNEL version and Vmware.
- You have to deal with sources ( vmnet and vmmon ) and apply fixed in both of them.
- Try to find the fix for the specific product Vmware and Kernel version, other fix that works before don’t guarantee to resolve your problem…
sudo dnf install kernel-devel kernel-headers gcc gcc-c++ make git
PATCH, Based on this:
- First method (build and install):
wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/archive/workstation-x.y.z.tar.gz tar -xzf workstation-x.y.z.tar.gz cd vmware-host-modules-workstation-x.y.z make sudo make install
- Second method (replace original tarballs):
wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/archive/workstation-x.y.z.tar.gz tar -xzf workstation-x.y.z.tar.gz cd vmware-host-modules-workstation-x.y.z tar -cf vmmon.tar vmmon-only tar -cf vmnet.tar vmnet-only sudo cp -v vmmon.tar vmnet.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/ sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
Based on your VMware product, replace “x.y.z” with your installed version
and/or “workstation” with “player”.