Hundreds of messages on recent kernel updates

On recent kernel updates with dnf, hundreds of messages appear in the terminal of the form:

hardlink: cannot link /usr/src/kernels/5.15.8-200.fc35.x86_64+debug/./sound/aoa/soundbus/Makefile to /usr/src/kernels/5.15.7-200.fc35.x86_64+debug/./sound/aoa/soundbus/Makefile.hardlink-temporary: File exists
hardlink: cannot link /usr/src/kernels/5.15.8-200.fc35.x86_64+debug/./sound/aoa/soundbus/Makefile to /usr/src/kernels/5.15.6-200.fc35.x86_64+debug/./sound/aoa/soundbus/Makefile.hardlink-temporary: File exists
hardlink: cannot link /usr/src/kernels/5.15.7-200.fc35.x86_64+debug/./sound/aoa/soundbus/Makefile to /usr/src/kernels/5.15.6-200.fc35.x86_64+debug/./sound/aoa/soundbus/Makefile.hardlink-temporary: File exists

No problems have been noticed. Is this normal, or is there something to investigate or resolve?

A mailing list user reported the same thing: Re: Hundreds of These on Recent F35 Kernel Updates — Fedora Linux Users

It is mentioned that it may be due to having debug kernels installed, which I do. I checked what depends on the debug kernel package on my system and it seems I should keep it:

$ sudo repoquery -q --installed --whatrequires kernel-debug-devel
akmods-0:0.5.6-28.fc35.noarch
dkms-0:3.0.2-1.fc35.noarch

My experiences, it’s only happen if you install (kernel devel version, but not the cores kernel, kernel-core, kernel-modules, kernel-modules-extra) it from Fedora Bodhi or manually install from Koji or have previously installed from Fedora Bodhi or Koji.

If we always upgrade using dnf upgrade, at least with my experiences, that will not happened.

1 Like

Maybe because you have never needed kernel-debug-devel?

Maybe. But I have kernel-devel. I’ll check what if I install kernel-debug-devel tonight.

There are two bugs posted, you may want to follow those as well.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2028156
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2025157

3 Likes

All fine. But saying all fine I think will not prove anything.

Btw we could download manually package with dnf download packagename.rpm or from koji. Then run rpm -qp --scripts ./packagename.rpm to see script pre or post install. Or we could go to package repo here and find *.spec file to see what really happen.

At least what happen to simplify it is like bellow image:

bc1ff0c06472f4df048417d4a4c0f005e2aaf52c.png

The touch file-3 is like local install. But of course I can be wrong.

Note: On kernel they use hardlink command instead ln.