Installing Oracle XE Fedora 35

Hi!

I am trying to install Oracle XE. According to the official documentation I will need to run the following command:

# curl -o oracle-database-preinstall-18c-1.0-1.el7.x86_64.rpm https://yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL7/latest/x86_64/getPackage/oracle-database-preinstall-18c-1.0-1.el7.x86_64.rpm

The I will need to install the file oracle-database-preinstall-18c-1.0-1.el7.x86_64.rpm using:

# yum -y localinstall oracle-database-preinstall-18c-1.0-1.el7.x86_64.rpm

However, I get the following message:
- nothing provides xorg-x11-utils needed by oracle-database-preinstall-18c-1.0-1.el6.x86_64

Is there a way to get this package on Fedora 35? If not, can I install Oracle XE without that package?

Using the command dnf list xorg-x11-*util* I find that on fedora 35 there are packages xorg-x11-util-macros, xorg-x11-font-utils, and xorg-x11-xfs-utils available. I don’t know if any of those meet your needs.

Since you are attempting to install an el7 package you are downloading from oracle I would suspect the one needed may be available from the same source.

Using the command rpm -qpR oracle-database-preinstall-18c-1.0-1.el7.x86_64.rpm on that file should give you the full name of the dependency package and thus make it easier to locate/install.

You should understand that installing anything from outside the normal fedora repo tree may have dependencies that are also outside the tree and can make installing and maintaining those packages difficult. It is possible the package needed can be located in the epel repo though I do not have that repo for checking. Otherwise you might also try searching where you found the info about that database and see what turns up.

I don’t think you can get a functional install of a package if needed dependencies are missing.

UPDATE:
A quick search for ‘oracle linux’ gives this as the first hit, and can assist in finding the needed packages.

Actually I need the xorg-x11-utils, it used to be on Fedora 34. It has been replaced on Fedora 35 by xprop, and so far I have not found any way to get it on Fedora 35.

I guess it is simply not possible to get Oracle Xe working on Fedora 35.

Thank you for your help.