Installing typora in fedora

Hi, can any one help me with how to install typora in fedora 32/33? I found some instruction but haven’t been able to make them work.

The instruction were at: Old askbot-based Ask Fedora archives are gone — look for new answers here instead! - Fedora Discussion

I was able to implement the instructions but don’t understand how it works well enough to troubleshoot. eg I downloaded the binary file, extracted it and moved the folder to /opt/typora as instructed. What is in the folder is a bin folder but I don’t know if that is what is supposed to happen

Typora is proprietary software and thus cannot be included in Fedora’s repositories.
The guide you linked should still work as-is.

However, if I had to install it, I would use a snap package from Install typora on Fedora using the Snap Store | Snapcraft. On that page you can find three commands that you need to run to install typora.

2 Likes

From portable binary (copy paste)

sudo dnf install gnome-keyring libgnome-keyring curl -y &&  mkdir -p ~/.local/share/typora && curl https://typora.io/linux/Typora-linux-x64.tar.gz |tar xvz -C ~/.local/share/typora && mkdir -p ~/.local/bin && ln -s ~/.local/share/typora/bin/Typora-linux-x64/Typora ~/.local/bin/typora

To run

typora

2 Likes

That works too but you are not getting updates, unless you manually go and grab the updated binary on their website.

1 Like

Thanks to you both. It’s a pity it is proprietary, it a great editor and I’d be happy donate for it to be open source!

I did try the snapcraft option and it worked but the menus were missing so that didn’t seem so good. I would be happy to go with this if there is a way of having the menus because it was easy.

I’ll try the command when I get back to my computer.

Ask the author, maybe they want to release the code…

That sounds like a bug. Report it to the maintainer of the snap package.

One of the most important goal of flatpak and Snap is to run softwares on any distribution without compatibility problems, but unfortunately sometimes they get the same problems ,another example from flatpak package for natron .
https://github.com/NatronGitHub/Natron/issues/522#issuecomment-672919650

But in general, they succeeded in this goal

(google translate)