Intel Graphics - Best practices and settings for hardware acceleration?

It’s not actually related to secure boot and there’s no out-of-tree module in this case. It’s just that kernel developers decided that enabling this particular non-default option makes debugging eventual issues too difficult or impossible as the option itself may cause issues. See Tainted kernels — The Linux Kernel documentation for more details.

1 Like

According to the link in the first post, GuC/HuC are only available from Gen9 processors, so it should be safer to skip this part as Gen8 (or less) users.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! Worked like a charm for getting HD video playback working in gwenview (before hd-video was laggy/stuttering with every player except VLC).

One additional question: with Fedora 37 it has been announced that hardware video acceleration for x264 and x265 will be dropped (due to legal reasons) - does anybody know if that means that vaapi will no longer work? Efficient video playback is one of the central tasks of any OS - so dropping this will probably force me to review my distro choice. Thanks!

1 Like

The rpmfusion mesa drivers (mesa-freeworld) just hit testing, so it looks like they will be available.

2 Likes

Sounds good, thanks! Fedora is clearly my favorite distro running perfectly on my brandnew laptop (HP envy x360 - although opensuse does since 10 yrs a good job on my desktop PC). So I will wait a little bit and then see …

1 Like

Work in progress … Alder Lake is a glimpse of heterogeneous hybrid CPU/GPU giving sense to DPC++ being kernel programming similar to NVidia Cuda extension of C++ or modern C++ 20 and further. Debian blindly refuses to install whatever you try, CentOS Stream is fine. A lot of people will need to repackage, rewrite code to take full advantage of new hardware falling back to compatibility mode by default, FLEX is the new hardware GPU for data centers, ARC for general purpose configuration.

1 Like

For some clarification about the modprobe config, the Intel Graphics for Linux website (originally posted by @beuraud) says the correct line is i915.enable_guc=2 for 12th-gen Alder Lake-S (desktop) chips and earlier, whereas i915.enable_guc=3 is for Alder Lake-P (laptop) chips and later, though in this setting the config is potentially unnecessary as it’s enabled by default.