Is Conky dead? Does not seem to work properly on Fedora 33

Hi. As the title says, it seems to me Conky does not work any longer on Fedora 33. I have being using it since fedora 31 with no issues, but now Conky Manager fails to launch any widget and conky itself just launch a widget that I found no way to modify. I searched about this but found no direct answers. Any ideas how to fix it?

This information is not enough, please give us more information:

you can execute in terminal, and share with us the error did you get:

conky-manager

or

conky -c  .conkyrc      # conky config file

and see what error did you get on terminal.

Regards.,

1 Like

Thanks so much. This is what I get with both commands:

[francisco@localhost ~]$ conky-manager
[10:43:23] Desktop: gnome
[10:43:23] Found theme pack [installed]: /usr/share/conky-manager/themepacks/default-themes-2.1.cmtp.7z
[10:43:23] App config loaded: ‘/home/francisco/.config/conky-manager.json’
[10:43:24] Searching for conkyrc files… 12 found
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/TeejeeTech/NVIDIA Panel:2: unexpected symbol near ‘#’) while reading config file.
conky: Assuming it’s in old syntax and attempting conversion.
conky: [string “…”]:159: attempt to call a nil value (global ‘loadstring’)
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/TeejeeTech/Network Panel:2: unexpected symbol near ‘#’) while reading config file.
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/Green Apple Desktop/Gotham:1: syntax error near ‘yes’) while reading config file.
[10:44:06] App config saved: ‘/home/francisco/.config/conky-manager.json’

[francisco@localhost ~] conky -c .conkyrc # conky config file conky: cannot open .conkyrc: No such file or directory [francisco@localhost ~] ^C
[francisco@localhost ~]$

@boricua Have you tried stripping the .conkyrc down to the defaults? Given the error messages, it might not be a bad place to start. You could always rename your .conky directory and start at the basics from there.

1 Like

I suggest to you, make a backup of your conky config directory:

some of your conky config file has a bad syntax which affect to a new release… and find a up-to-date conky config file… or review it…

mv .conky/ .conky-old/

and tried to start conky-manager again…

Regards.,

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both approaches but neither work. The syntax error is present in each widget launch:

[francisco@localhost ~]$ conky-manager
[14:59:20] Desktop: gnome
[14:59:20] Found theme pack [installed]: /usr/share/conky-manager/themepacks/default-themes-2.1.cmtp.7z
[14:59:20] App config loaded: '/home/francisco/.config/conky-manager.json'
[14:59:20] Searching for conkyrc files... 12 found
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/Conky MIUI/miui:2: unexpected symbol near '#') while reading config file. 
conky: Assuming it's in old syntax and attempting conversion.
conky: [string "..."]:159: attempt to call a nil value (global 'loadstring')
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/Conky Seamod/conky_seamod:2: unexpected symbol near '#') while reading config file. 
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/Gotham/Gotham:1: syntax error near 'yes') while reading config file. 
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/Green Apple Desktop/Gotham:1: syntax error near 'yes') while reading config file. 
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/TeejeeTech/CPU Panel (2-core):2: unexpected symbol near '#') while reading config file. 
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/TeejeeTech/CPU Panel (6-core):2: unexpected symbol near '#') while reading config file. 
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/TeejeeTech/CPU Panel (8-core):2: unexpected symbol near '#') while reading config file. 
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/TeejeeTech/Network Panel:2: unexpected symbol near '#') while reading config file. 
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/TeejeeTech/Process Panel:2: unexpected symbol near '#') while reading config file. 
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/TeejeeTech/NVIDIA Panel:2: unexpected symbol near '#') while reading config file. 
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/TeejeeTech/CPU Panel (4-core):2: unexpected symbol near '#') while reading config file. 
conky: Syntax error (/home/francisco/.conky/Green Apple Desktop/conky_seamod:2: unexpected symbol near '#') while reading config file. 
[15:00:31] App config saved: '/home/francisco/.config/conky-manager.json'
[francisco@localhost ~]$

It has been a while since I’ve used conky. I’m going to assume that you’re using hash marks for comments based on the output you’ve provided? That changed several years back. Comments now look like this:

– this is a comment
That is 2 dashes, a space and the text

A block of comments could look like this:
–[[
comment
comment
comment
]]

Might be worth looking into?

1 Like

Thanks. I will try to look at it.

this is what you have to do:

give some review:

Actually, it’s quite easy:

* wrap your config section in
* conky.config = { ... }
* wrap your TEXT section in
* conky.text = [[ ... ]]
* the config options are lookup values and you need to assign the values (i.e. use "=")
* each line in the config section ends with ","
* replace "yes" and "no" with "true" and "false", resp. (without quotes)
* all values except numbers, "true" and "false" need quotes
* comments are marked with "--" instead of "#"

Conky will works well after rewrite conky with the new syntax.

Note

command to see your version:

conky --version

Regards.,

Hi again,
Conky version is “conky 1.11.6_pre compiled Tue Jul 28 07:43:46 UTC 2020 for Linux 5.6.15-300.fc32.x86_64 x86_64”
I am able to run conky’s generic widget. However, the ones controlled via conky-manager are the problem. I have no .conkyrc file installed in my Home directory, so I suppose that’s the root of my problem. I probably screwed up my config files by migrating them back from a backup directory, after doing a F33 clean install.

It does appear there are some issues with using other conky widgets beyond the default one. I settled for the default config file and will not use conky-manager for F33. I will then add - very carefully - new info sources to the default conky widget config file. Thank you for your attention and support.