Is Fedora Workstation/Server and Spin for 32 bits too?

Hello Friends

Fedora Workstation & Server

Some months ago, I am not sure where I read about Linux Distributions for 32 bits, well Fedora was listed (but now no anymore). Well I got and installed Fedora Workstation 36 for an old PC Desktop of 32 bits with 3GB of RAM. The installation was successfully.

About Fedora Workstation 37 I did do realise that does not appear explicitly the 32 bits terms - if my memory does not fail me same case when I got the 36.

But for the 36 and 37 releases appears the x86_64 Live ISO term, for example currently at:

Even when the 32 bits term does not appear explicitly I am assuming that is supported due the apparition of the x86_64 Live ISO term - Am I correct? Therefore - It works for 32 and 64 bits

Even more, in the official documentation at:

does not appear explicitly neither the 32 nor 64 bits terms but appears just once the x86_64 term

Question 1

• Does Fedora Workstation/Server 37 work on 32 bits too?

I am assuming that when I got Fedora 36 was indicated explicitly that 32 is supported but now was removed.

Fedora Spin

My sister has an old laptop of 32 bits with 2GB of RAM, again at:

indicates:

Users of system equipped with the minimum memory of 2GB may want to consider Fedora Spins with less resource intense Desktop Environments

Something that perhaps I should did do for the old pc from the beginning. Therefore once arrived to:

Note at the Fedora Spins page in the bottom the 3 Learn more blue buttons targets to Page Not Found. Not sure where to report this bug. What is reflected to all the sub projects listed too. Their download pages.

For each Figure available can be opened a new tab page of the sub project itself and to download of course - it seems the best option is Xfce because is the most lightweight (correct me if I am wrong). In its download page it has the ISO Image for 64-bit PC message. But if you put the mouse’s cursor over the Download blue button, appears in the bottom the url’s target: an .iso file - but it contains twice the x86_64 term, for directory and file name.

Observations

• The apparition of the ISO Image for 64-bit PC message is for all the projects - except for Cinnamon
  • The apparition of the x86_64 term (twice) is for all the projects

Therefore observe the difference between 64-bit PC and x86_64.

Question 2

• Is Fedora Spin for 32/64 bits or only for 64 bits?

Thanks in advance for your support.

I seem to recall that fedora officially dropped 32 bit kernels for all fedora releases with release 33, or maybe release 32. It was more than 2 years ago in any case. A quick search for that info shows it as the end of 2019.

A quick search for which linux releases support 32 bit architecture shows several. Here is one such link

I indicated in the original post that was installed successfully Fedora Workstation 36 in a PC with 32 bits in peace - 36 is higher than 32 33 34 35. Now my concern if is 37 and Fedora Spins really support 32 bits too or not. About Fedora Spins, it indicates 64 bits through a message/description but in its own .iso files contain the x86_64 term yet.

Furthermore there are many post in the web indicating many distributions that support 32 bits - but they are out of date, therefore they do not support 32 bits anymore. It mostly about the Ubuntu branches.

That’s why I wrote this post in this official forum.

What is the specific CPU that you want to install on?

This seems to indicate the CPU in the machine of concern is NOT a 32 bit CPU but actually is a 64 bit CPU even though in an older machine. This also means that any system that is capable of running Fedora 32 and newer Workstation releases is also capable of running Server and other Spins for those same releases.

Here is the notification about the end of 32 bit kernel support.

You can show us the actual hardware details by providing the output of inxi -Fzxx

Linux is moving fast, hardware also … maintained original Linux distributions are Red Hat and Debian. Red Hat : https://www.redhat.com/en is used on high grade HPC clusters with interesting software developments linked to Fedora/CentOS. Debian : https://www.debian.org/ has wide hardware platform support including x32 and up to date software.

Different philosophy, different target but surely safe places.

Thanks for the polite replies

The old PC Desktop bought in 2005 has the mobo Intel D915PGN. It does mention of Pentium 4 -64-bit Processors Compatibility: Yes - but I remember clearly when I tried to install Windows XP 64 bits it failed - when the CD installer booted it indicated that is not possible install because the current architecture of the mobo is the 32 bits.

Thanks for the post of Linux Magazine. I did do a research on Google and few places indicates that x86_64 has two meanings:

• 1 - case: is the same as x64
  • 2 - case: is the same as x64 and can support 32 bits too

Because I know the mobo is 32 bits, and was possible install Fedora Workstation 36 - I assumed x86_64 applied for the 2nd case. When it was new It had installed Windows XP 32 bits and Fedora Core until 17 - I worked with Fedora Core, since 1 to 17.

The current laptop is old an is an Acer Aspire one KAV60 (hlz-kav60(b)) - 2GB of RAM and has an architecture of 32 bits - that’s why I was interested in work with Fedora Spin - it for client purposes with the same LAN, such as SSH and Web Console (Jenkins), JMX. If the laptop can be used yet - be use it.

But because in the page about Fedora Spin for their projects indicates 64 bits - but in their .iso installers includes x86_64 yet - I want need an explicit confirmation through this forum if is the case 1 or is the case 2 yet.

For example in Ubuntu .iso installers appear the amd64 term (i.e: ubuntu-XX.XX.X-desktop-amd64.iso) - nothing about x86_64. And for the old releases with support for 32 bits the .iso installers has the i386 term (i.e: ubuntu-XX.XX.X-desktop-i386.iso)

Thanks for your understanding.

x86_64 always refers to 64-bit. x86 or i386 can refer to 32-bit.

That being said, x86_64 CPUs can run 32-bit applications. However, x86_64 software cannot be run on 32-bit CPUs.

This may be a 64-bit CPU with 32-bit firmware. This requires special handling in the bootloader but is different than a 32-bit CPU.

In fedora (and most other linux distros) a package with x86_64 in the name is 64 bit software. Only the fedora packages named with i686 are 32 bit software.

Many software apps & tools and most 64 bit kernels can use 32 bit packages as compatible mode, but the kernel is limited to 64 bit processors for fedora as already noted.

One very prominent case where 32 bit apps run on a 64 bit system is gaming using steam. Steam is at present only 32 bit but runs well on fedora.

If you want to run 32 bit apps on a 64 bit machine that can work, but running a 64 bit kernel on a 32 bit processor cannot be done.

If I am reading your cases properly, yes some systems/distros label the 64 bit software as x64, which is the same as fedora labels x86_64. The x86 refers to architecture and the _64 refers to 64 bit. Case 2 is correct for many apps, but far from all. The kernel can support 32 bit apps as long as the proper libraries are available to support that.

Ubuntu calls it amd64 which is also equivalent to the x86_64. The ones marked i386, i586 or i686 are all 32 bit; Different variations in naming that somewhat followed the CPU development with the intel 386, intel pentium, and later processors.

Now there is another twist to this.
I tried looking up the specs for Acer Aspire one KAV60 (hlz-kav60(b)) and found that apparently most of those systems contained an intel Atom processor, though some may have had a celeron or athlon processor. Do you know which processor is installed.? If it is the atom then it is not x86 architecture. Either celeron or athlon would be x86 architecture.

atom CPUs are x86 too.

I stand corrected. Thought they were different. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

A bit complicated … Intel introduced x86 architecture in 1978 with extension to x32 in 1985. After terrific race to overcome 4 Gb memory address with Intel Itanium processors and 128 bit memory address capability in 2001 quickly trumped by AMD with initially 32 bit processor and 64 bit memory address using standard compiler. Today BIOS/EFI evolves with different boot loaders and Fedora/CentOS/Red Hat says stop, only x64 modern hardware. Debian has support of so many hardware platforms that makes you dream. Xerox has support of many operating systems including original Unix.

The thing to watch out is IBM Power 10 processors with concept of memory inception and link here : TheNextPlatform

Again to all, huge thanks for the valuable feedback. Now all is more clear.

That being said, x86_64 CPUs can run 32-bit applications.
However, x86_64 software cannot be run on 32-bit CPUs

Agree, 32 can fit in 64 but 64 can’t fit in 32.

This may be a 64-bit CPU with 32-bit firmware.
This requires special handling in the bootloader but is different than a 32-bit CPU.

I am not expert of this, but could be the only explanation

Again: I remember clearly that was not possible install Windows XP 64 bits - but was possible install Fedora Workstation 36 - so because the x86_64 term is included in the .iso file I thought the installer was hybrid for 32 and 64 bits (the 2nd scenario mentioned).

Thanks for the support. I am going to work with Linux Peppermint - it supports 32 bits yet.