It would be nice to close all apps with ctrl-q

Close with ctrl-Q is standard procedure to close a program, an app. But Not always. It would be so nice to see Evince and other programs to close with ctrl-Q

2 Likes

Keyboard shortcuts like this belong to each application, and different apps in the Linux ecosystem come from different backgrounds and philosophies. It’s not all developed together or for a single target. This means consistency like that is hard.

3 Likes

This can be done with a window manager by setting a key binding but doesn’t GNOME also have a setting to assign a key to close app windows, which is Alt+F4 by default?

2 Likes

I think the keystrokes pass through the application first and only reach the window manager if the application doesn’t intercept them. So if the application has its own handler for the ctrl-q keyboard event, it wouldn’t reach the window manager. It would do whatever the application has designated ctrl-q to do instead. I think the idea of the super key is that it isn’t supposed to be used by applications – it is supposed to be reserved for the window manager, so you might have better luck with a combination like super-q. The same can be true of alt-f4, but I think that one is a little more standardized.

3 Likes

I tested this with sway and it’s the other way around: keys are handled by sway and if no key binding is defined, they are passed to the application. Don’t know about GNOME though.

Interesting. The particular case I had in mind was bash running in a terminal. In bash, I think ctrl-q will be intercepted at the line handler level and interpreted as the “Resume transmission” software flow control command (Software flow control - Wikipedia). You should be able to turn that particular interception/handling off in that case though by adding “stty -ixon” to your ~/.bashrc.

1 Like

use Alt+F4 instead !

1 Like

Alt F4 does not do that, maybe I could change that?

running gnome (xorg) and closing all open programs with alt+f4 e.g. FF, TB, evince, nautilus work fine here

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.