KDE - kontact not starting with "error while loading shared libraries"

Hello all,

recently I ran into an error when trying to start kontact from yakuake. Since a couple of days typing kontact and hitting Enter results in:

kontact: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libQt5WebEngineCore.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN3re23RE23Arg9parse_intEPKciPv

libQt5WebEngineCore.so.5 is a symlink to libQt5WebEngineCore.so.5.12.2 which is part of the package qt5-qtwebengine.

As per output from dnf history info qt5-qtwebengine the package was last updated from @updates on 27. May 2019 on my system; kontact also got updated with the same transaction and since it was running like a charm.

Has anyone a hint what could have happened respectively where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks

Note 1: starting kontact from the application launcher doesn’t work as well
Note 2: running:

nm -D /lib64/libQt5WebEngineCore.so.5.12.2 | grep Arg9 -

results in:

U _ZN3re23RE23Arg9parse_intEPKciPv

looks like the symbol is really undefined. :slightly_frowning_face:

sudo rpm --verify --all kontact\* qt\*

There is an existing bug report about this already. There should be an update out soon to fix it AFAICT.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback, actually this did not show any output for me. Anyhow, I’ll keep rpm --verify in mind for future. :slight_smile:

OK, thanks for information. Looks like I ran into the same issue. Downgrading the re2-package (as suggested in the bug report) got my kontact up and running again. :+1:

1 Like