Kernel & kernel-devel & kernel-header versions

Hello

Today I installed Fedora 31 but had a problem installing the RTL8723DE wifi driver (lwfinger from github). I have used it successfully on Fedora 29 and 30 but it does not work now on Fedora 31, it compiles, installs and loads into memory but no wifi devices are found.

I asked for help to the driver developer on github and agrees that the problem should be the kernel packages versions. The kernel and kernel-devel are version 5.3.15 but kernel-headers are version 5.3.11 and it appears to be the problem since there is no 5.3.15 version available on the repository. How can I get the kernel headers 5.3.15 or it would be better to wait for the next kernel packages release to have all of them with the same version?

I had to restore back my Fedora 30 until the driver works on a future kernel release.

And one more question, are you planning to include in the future the driver for RealTek RTL8732DE?

Thanks for your help

Hi,
I’m pretty sure kernel-headers is only built/rebuilt when the interface between kernel and userspace changes, which doesn’t happen every dot version. Also, if the driver loads, then it’s some other problem.

But to see if this is the problem, you can install kernel 5.3.11 to match up with the kernel-headers you already have installed.

1. Build System Info | koji
  2. In the search field type in kernel
  3. Scroll down to find kernel-5.3.11-300.fc31 and select it
  4. Scroll down to the proper architecture
  5. Download kernel-, kernel-core, kernel-modules
  6. Install by sudo dnf install ~/Downloads/*rpm

So if that solves the problem, then yeah I’ll be a little confused. Another idea is try another antenna? Post #2 in this thread might help with that.

If this is an out of tree kernel module, it’s unlikely to find its way into Fedora kernel packages. But possibly the RPM Fusion folks would carry it?

2 Likes

Hello @kanito73 …! Welcome to the community! Please do take a few minutes to go over the introductory posts in #start-here when you have the time. They contain lots of useful information.

This solution doesn’t work for you, It is a proven solution it has also step to test another antena:

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/wifi-adapter-not-found-rtl8723de/70668/6

please could you provide the follow information:

lsusb
lspci
sudo dmidecode | grep -A 9 "System Information"

Did you check your log’s?
Your compilation finished ok?

Regards.,

2 Likes