Keypresses sometimes registers as different key

I have a bizarre issue regarding keypresses being registered as another key.

I have noticed that when I am scrolling through Firefox with the Down Arrow key (), sometimes, the Quick Find menu pops up. The Quick Find menu is usually triggered by pressing the Forward Slash key (/).
I thought this to be a quirk/bug with Firefox, until just now.

I was going through a slideshow on GNOME Document Viewer using the RIght Arrow key (), when the “Jump to page:” dialog popped up, with the number 3. The “Jump to page:” dialog shows up when pressing a number key while presenting a document as a slideshow.

In summary, rarely, my Down Arrow key is registered as a Forward Slash (/), and my Right Arrow key is registered as a 3.

What is going on and how can I fix this?

Here is the output of inxi -b, as I am not sure what system info command is relevant for this issue. Please let me know and I will provide the according output.
inxi -b

System:
  Host: fedora Kernel: 5.19.14-200.fc36.x86_64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: GNOME v: 42.5 Distro: Fedora release 36 (Thirty Six)
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP EliteBook 865 16 inch G9 Notebook PC
    v: N/A serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: HP model: 8990 v: KBC Version 09.3E.00 serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: HP v: U82 Ver. 01.01.12 date: 07/01/2022
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 76.8 Wh (98.3%) condition: 78.1/76.0 Wh (102.8%)
CPU:
  Info: 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 6800U with Radeon Graphics [MT MCP] speed (MHz):
    avg: 932 min/max: 400/4768
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Rembrandt [Radeon 680M] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Device-2: Luxvisions Innotech HP 5MP Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
  Display: wayland server: X.Org v: 1.22.1.3 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.3
    compositor: gnome-shell driver: gpu: amdgpu resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD YELLOW_CARP (LLVM 14.0.0 DRM 3.47
    5.19.14-200.fc36.x86_64) v: 4.6 Mesa 22.1.7
Network:
  Device-1: Qualcomm QCNFA765 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath11k_pci
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.82 TiB used: 43.75 GiB (2.3%)
Info:
  Processes: 392 Uptime: 25m Memory: 30.67 GiB used: 2.72 GiB (8.9%)
  Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.21

Are you using 101/104 compatible key or similar that? If not, The bug you say is can be appeared.

1 Like

Sorry, I’m not quite sure if I understand what you mean. Is this a known bug for 101/104 key layouts? Or do you mean I should use 101/104 key layouts to avoid this issue?

My keyboard layouts are:

1. English (Canada)
  2. Korean (101/104-key compatible)

I don’t use the Korean keyboard unless I am actually typing in Korean, so these issues have been happening while I am on the English layout.

1 Like

what software do you use to write Korean? Do you trust that?

1 Like

It is possible that the keyboard is dirty internally or failing and may intermittently be giving false key signals. Disassembly and cleaning is a relatively simple task with most keyboards so that is a possibility.

1 Like

I’m not using any external software to write Korean; I have just added Korean (Hangul) as an input source under GNOME Settings → Keyboard → Input Sources.

Hmm…
I am on a laptop so I’m not sure how easy disassembly would be.
This is also a very new laptop (purchased only a couple weeks ago) so I would really hope the keyboard is not failing already.
If the issue persists and there doesn’t seem to be a known bug or software fix, I will take it to a service centre and see what they can do.