Laptop unknown partition issue

I have dualboot my device and recently i find that there are 2extra partion created maybe by the oem one is 13 gb and one is 900 mb and another is boot.efi 300 mb should i delete them and what is the use of them. They written that recovery partition and i can’t access them and windows is showing first two are 100% free means there are no data. Should i delete them and what is the use of it. If i delete them i will recover 15 gb of my ssd.

The recovery partition is used to restore windows. It is up to you if you want to delete it.

The one mounted as /boot/efi is your EFI System Partition(ESP). You shouldn’t delete that.

As for the last one, it is hard to say without more info.

2 Likes

should i delete them

There isn’t really any useful info in your screenshot and I already gave you what advice I could above.

Nobody can tell you if you should delete your data or not.

Yes but there is no data in that partition it is showing 100% free and i can’t see that drive partition in my files

IME windows 10 with a uefi install has 4 partitions it creates.
1 is efi, 1 is hidden, 1 is the main OS, and the 4th is the recovery partition. It certainly is your choice if you want to delete any of them, but be aware that doing so may (and likely will) break the windows installation and you might be forced to do a reinstall/recovery.

I personally never recommend to alter the windows partitions in any way. The exception is when you want to do a dual boot install on the same drive then from within windows you can reduce the size of the main OS drive and use the space that is now free to do the install of the second OS.

This exception is how I dual boot my laptop.

Yes i find them does that 13gb is important cause it is showing 100% free so…

Yes i will then marge that 13 gb with my linux partition that will be nice because that 13 gb has no use

I take two approaches for dual boot with Windows, depending on how much time I have:

• Keep everything and just ignore the fact it’s a bit space inefficient
  • Wipe the drive completely->reinstall Windows 10 with Microsoft provided install image using defaults->shrink the main Windows volume from within Windows using its Disk Management tool->Install Fedora using automatic partitioning

To expand on the 2nd option, there are multiple steps:

*Backup anything important from both Windows and Fedora environments. These are separate processes.

• Search for microsoft windows 10 download, e.g. I get this URL. And it includes a download tool similar to Fedora Media Write. It’ll download a current copy of Windows 10 with all updates and install it. The digital license used in recent laptops the past few years is automatically used without the user needing to get involved. Create the USB installation stick before you do anything else. If your laptop doesn’t have a digital license, you might want to locate and copy the product key. I like this approach because it’s completely debadged from OEM bloatware. It does have some unremovable Microsoft bloatware but it’s much more limited than what comes with the OEM restore tools.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10%20
  • Use Fedora Media Writer to create a separate USB installation drive for Fedora.
  • Boot Fedora install stick (LiveOS) and from GNOME Terminal (or equivalent) you can use the blkdiscard command on the internal flash drive to completely wipe it and all partitions, e.g. blkdiscard -v /dev/nvme0n1 or blkdiscard -v /dev/sda Just be certain you’re pointing this command to the proper drive! Note it doesn’t work on hard drives, instead you can just use the wipefs -a command pointed to a whole block device for hard drives. Instead of issuing a full device discard (TRIM), the wipefs command just removes all the file system and partitioning magic signatures it finds.
  • Reboot the Windows installer and install Windows
  • After installing Windows, shrink the largest NTFS volume using Windows Disk Management to the size you want, leaving the extra as free space for Fedora to install into.
  • After shrinking the NTFS volume, you can boot the Fedora installer, and proceed with an Automatic installation.
2 Likes