Latest fedora kde randomly reboots on my HP G8 R7 5700U

I installed latest fedora kde on this and during these 3 or 4 days it randomly reboots while I’m working with it.
my laptop is HP G8 R7 5700U 8gb ram 256gb ssd
What I have already done:
updated the whole system with
# dnf update
googled the problem
saw journalctl
what I can see is this:
Received SIGTERM from PID 1 (n/a).
and above it there is no error so I don’t know what caused the SIGNAL

another thing worth to mention is that reboot on panic is off

So my question is how can I make sure the problem is not about hardware (so I can get another one)
I have used memtester to test the memory (I don’t know if it can detect a faulty ram) but it said my ram is good
another thing is that from what I know if power supply has any sort of problem then the problem is not logged in journalctl because the whole reboot is logged into it

And the other question is if the problem is not about hardware how can I fix it? I already downloaded ubuntu 22.04 to test if the problem still exists on another distro

1 Like

The most common cause of random reboots is overheating. What’s the output of sensors?

`hp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
fan1: 0 RPM
fan2: 0 RPM

amdgpu-pci-0400
Adapter: PCI adapter
vddgfx: 662.00 mV
vddnb: 593.00 mV
edge: +44.0°C
PPT: 0.00 W

BAT1-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
in0: 12.65 V
curr1: N/A

k10temp-pci-00c3
Tctl: +45.4°C

nvme-pci-0300
Composite: +40.9°C (low = -5.2°C, high = +79.8°C)
(crit = +84.8°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1: +45.0°C (crit = +226.8°C)
temp2: +20.0°C`

The thing is I haven’t done any cpu/gpu intensive task with my laptop and the cpu and gpu(Vega8) are strong enough to support my development job (I don’t build anything on the laptop) and not even using the 15 percent of resources.

I switched to use laptop keyboard and touch pad to sense the heat and detect if it is overheat that cause random reboot but I can not sense even being warm let alone heat.

Those numbers don’t look bad. I had an HP EliteBook that was prone to overheating, locking up, and rebooting if it wasn’t flat on a wooden desk without anything under it and all four little feet had to be on top of the table with nothing over the edge. HP prioritized quiet over cooling on it.

The first program I ever wrote for Linux was a temperature monitoring tool because I had a ThinkPad that kept burning my legs when I tried to play World of Warcraft on it (with wine).

I use cool pad under my laptop but I never turn it on (being forgetful and lazy)
So I should use a cool pad turned on

What else can I do to manage the nvme temprature?

On my old laptop I used to burn my hands a lot on keyboard only by docker builds :slight_smile:

That’s entirely relatable :sweat_smile:

I thing I found the root cause of random reboots

Sep 01 19:14:05 xxx kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.WLBU._STA.WLVD], AE_NOT_FOUND (20211217/psargs-330)
Sep 01 19:14:05 xxx kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.WLBU._STA due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20211217/psparse-529)
Sep 01 19:14:05 xxx kernel: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.WLBU._STA.WLVD], AE_NOT_FOUND (20211217/psargs-330)
Sep 01 19:14:05 xxx kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.WLBU._STA due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20211217/psparse-529)
Sep 01 14:44:10 xxx kernel: rtw89_8852ae 0000:01:00.0: MAC has already powered on
Sep 01 14:44:10 xxx /usr/sbin/irqbalance[900]: libcap-ng used by "/usr/sbin/irqbalance" failed dropping bounding set due to not having CAP_SETPCAP in capng_apply
Sep 01 14:44:30 xxx sddm-helper[1245]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

One important thing I noticed is that when logging the errors the clock is mismatched with actual time here I live we are away from Sep 01 19:14
Do you know which of the errors might cause random reboots?
My guess goes to ACPI

Regarding mismatched timestamps in the journal, I’ve seen this happen if the realtime clock is not in UTC. Try executing timedatectl to see if it prints a warning about the RTC not being in UTC.

RTC is the Local time should I change it to UTC?

Yes, RTC in UTC is recommended. Follow the directions given in the output of timedatectl, if it shows a warning about RTC not being in UTC.

1 Like

Someone else with very similar hardware and a very similar problem reported that a firmware update was the fix.

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/fedora-36-restarts-randomly/26061/7?u=vwbusguy

I haven’t ever done BIOS update. But I did used fwupd to solve this problem are they the same?

HP offers hardware-diagnostic tools on their website. Check the whole hardware to make sure, that hardware-failure is not the reason. That’s always the first step and the following steps could concern software bugs. Some HP notebooks, like my notebook, have built-in hardware diagnostic via BIOS/UEFI. Good luck.

I already did UEFI hardware-diagnostic. I’m gonna update the BIOS. Thanks

1 Like

Very likely yes, as long as HP supports LVFS for your model and I would be very surprised if they don’t.