Launching GNOME Todo app from flatpak versus Activities searchbox

While I can correctly see Endeavour Todo app by running

[giulio@fedora ~]$ flatpak run org.gnome.Todo

(endeavour:2): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 20:29:19.479: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(endeavour:2): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 20:29:19.479: g_signal_connect_object: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(endeavour:2): GtdWindow-CRITICAL **: 20:29:19.479: gtd_window_get_current_workspace: assertion 'GTD_IS_WINDOW (self)' failed

and the above (as shown) works fine, on the other side I’m only getting a blank, blocked window and (eventually, when I quit) a crash report, if I try to launch it from super > Activities > typebox > click

Do you know what is going on here?
Thanks

Out of curiosity.
Does Todo is also installed as an rpm?
Does /usr/bin/gnome-todo exist?

1 Like

It is installed through

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

and then flatpak install flathub org.gnome.Todo

The other question

[giulio@fedora ~]$ ls /usr/bin/gnome-todo -l
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 681328 Jul 21 09:50 /usr/bin/gnome-todo

and bingo, it doesn’t work

[giulio@fedora ~]$ /usr/bin/gnome-todo 

(gnome-todo:13623): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:01:49.752: Error building template class 'GtdWindow' for an instance of type 'GtdWindow': .:0:0 Invalid property: AdwLeaflet.can-swipe-back

(gnome-todo:13623): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:01:49.752: gtk_list_box_bind_model: assertion 'GTK_IS_LIST_BOX (box)' failed

(gnome-todo:13623): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:01:49.752: gtk_menu_button_set_menu_model: assertion 'GTK_IS_MENU_BUTTON (menu_button)' failed

(gnome-todo:13623): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:01:49.752: gtk_menu_button_get_popover: assertion 'GTK_IS_MENU_BUTTON (menu_button)' failed

(gnome-todo:13623): Adwaita-WARNING **: 21:01:49.760: Using GtkSettings:gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme with libadwaita is unsupported. Please use AdwStyleManager:color-scheme instead.

(gnome-todo:13623): Adwaita-WARNING **: 21:01:49.760: Using GtkSettings:gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme with libadwaita is unsupported. Please use AdwStyleManager:color-scheme instead.

(gnome-todo:13623): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:01:49.760: gtk_popover_menu_add_child: assertion 'GTK_IS_POPOVER_MENU (popover)' failed

(gnome-todo:13623): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:01:49.813: gtk_stack_add_named: assertion 'GTK_IS_STACK (stack)' failed

(gnome-todo:13623): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:01:49.900: gtk_stack_add_named: assertion 'GTK_IS_STACK (stack)' failed

(gnome-todo:13623): Adwaita-WARNING **: 21:01:49.906: Using GtkSettings:gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme with libadwaita is unsupported. Please use AdwStyleManager:color-scheme instead.

Ok, sudo dnf remove gnome-todo this did the trick

So, you have To do installed also as an rpm.
The icon in GNOME overview is launching it. Probably. It’s strange, I expected two icons (one for the flatpak, and one for the /usr/bin/gnome-todo one) but who knows.
Try to uninstall the rpm.

Edit: you already did it :sweat_smile:

Have you looked on bugzilla if someone already reported the issue for the rpm version of Todo? (Even if you want to use the flatpak version)

1 Like

I’m coming from gitlab gnome, where I asked a feature for the calendar and discovered that they manage the tasks with this separate app, unfortunately. I’m afraid they will close my request as out of scope.

Have you looked on bugzilla if someone already reported the issue for the rpm version of Todo? (Even if you want to use the flatpak version)

Nope… will do…

something like this probably: 2112410 – Flatpack Gnome Todo gray screen

Edit - quick follow up

For the sake of it, I’ve uninstalled the flatpack version and compiled the app from source.
It required a newer version of the GTK4 (4.9.1) than the one installed by dnf (4.8.2).

libadwaita| Program glib-mkenums found: YES (/usr/bin/glib-mkenums)
libadwaita| Program gen-public-types.py found: YES (/usr/bin/python3 /home/giulio/gnome/Endeavour/subprojects/libadwaita/src/gen-public-types.py)
libadwaita| Run-time dependency gio-2.0 found: YES 2.74.1
libadwaita| Dependency gtk4 found: NO found 4.8.2 but need: '>= 4.9.1' (cached)

subprojects/libadwaita/src/meson.build:247:0: ERROR: Dependency 'gtk4' is required but not found.

A full log can be found at /home/giulio/gnome/Endeavour/builddir/meson-logs/meson-log.txt

I had to build from source the new GTK 4.9.1! Meanwhile I opened a new bug, but it was a a temporary glitch. Finally I could compile and install the app with meson build, cd build, ninja and ninja install (a sequence nowhere documented in their repo)

After all, I have now /usr/local/bin/endeavour running fine. :bluethumb: