LDAP upgraded?

Going to setup an LDAP server on an existing server - which I have not been in charge of myself.

slapd will not start, and jorunalctl tells me:

Jul 25 11:03:03 server.ccom check-config.sh[33456]: You have upgraded your openldap-servers package. There are actions that need to be performed. Please, read the /usr/share/openldap-servers/UPGRADE_INSTRUCTIONS file
Jul 25 11:03:03 server.ccom check-config.sh[33456]: /usr/libexec/openldap/check-config.sh: line 79: return: can only `return’ from a function or sourced script
Jul 25 11:03:03 server.ccom systemd[1]: slapd.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT

As slapd is not running, I imagine no one are using LDAP now. Can I somehow just wipe the LDAP db and continue from a fresh start?

/L

That message gives you explicit instructions. Please read and follow them.

1 Like

This line

Jul 25 11:03:03 server.ccom check-config.sh[33456]: /usr/libexec/openldap/check-config.sh: line 79: return: can only "return" from a function or sourced script

is indeed a bug in line 79 where :

check_major_upgrade || return 1

should be

check_major_upgrade || exit 1

this was introduced in 2.6.1-1 fedoracore packaging

Mon Jan 31 2022 Simon Pichugin spichugi@redhat.com - 2.6.1-1

• add UPGRADE_INSTRUCTIONS for openldap-server upgrade

fix would just remove one line of log but anyway this would end up in same failure.
fixing it by correctly upgrading using instructions of /usr/share/openldap-servers/UPGRADE_INSTRUCTIONS

if you know what you are doing and are sure no upgrade procedure has to be done, moving /usr/share/openldap-servers/UPGRADE_INSTRUCTIONS away is enough to get slapd to start…