Looking for a real effective method to disable IPv6 permanently

I would appreciate it if someone could show me how to effectively disable IPv6 (meaning the deactivation is persistent across reboots.)

No, I do not wish to use Network Manager to accomplish the task. In fact, I did not install it.

In Debian 11 and earlier versions, I could just add a line to grub.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

In the workstation gnome go to Settings → Network then select the connection and disable IPV6.
The same procedure applies for each network connection you have defined.

If you do not want to use the gnome settings panel then nmcli can also achieve that.
Since you claim not to use NetworkManager you may have to locate the means you use to define the network connections and disable it with that tool.

I think the older ifconfig command has similar functions but have not tried that recently. It was mostly replaced by the NM tools.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post but no thanks to using GNOME.

I used to use GNOME when I first started using Linux. A few months down the road I realized it was a nightmare to use it.

Just like GNOME, Network Manager tries to do many things which goes against the basic UNIX principle.

It is nice that you tell us what you not want, better would be to inform what you use.

When you create new topic you have to choose a category what you made. But there are also tags you can set as version DE etc. Would help enormous.

I think it’s just

sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1

Edit:
These have to be set in a conf file for them to be permanent, it looks like the kernel method is easier.

3 Likes

You need to go into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ and edit the file for the interface. This was the way before NM took over. If there isn’t a file, you’ll need to create one. I can’t find the old Fedora docs that would have had the info, but here’s the docs from Redhat on how to do it:

Should be able to just do:
sudo grubby --args=ipv6.disable=1 --update-kernel=ALL

5 Likes

Thanks, Joe. I’ll put it on my list to study “grubby”, it’s far more simple. I see in the manpage that it even updates /etc/default/grub, so this is really an one-liner!

1 Like