Low disk space root

I’m sure this has been answered in some way. I’ve been searching on how to address this but haven’t found a solution. any help is appriciated.

I keep getting a message that my root disk space is low. I’ve installed Fedora like I always do, letting it set up LVM. When i open gparted is only shows to partitions. sda1 (boot) and sda2 (lvm2 pv). I was going to resize one of the partitions to create room for root. But the way this is set up I can’t figure it out. I’m just not seeing root as a separate partition. lvm2 is a 464GiB partition. there should be plenty of space but I’m not seeing how to resolve this. Never had this issue before, been using fedora since 2006. Everything has always been pretty well seemless.

Hi, you can check the free disk space with the command df -h
This will give you some information about your partition with dimension, memory usage and the memory free. I had a similar problem, I had 2 or 3 virtual machines installed through virtual manager and than I realize that all the virtual disks are saved in the root partition by default. I simply delete the VMs and I regain all the space.
Do you remember the last thing that you have done before the warning appears?

That was actually my first place to look. I do store some VMs on my local drive. I moved them which freed up space but the thing that puzzles me is why my home folder is sucking up all the space on root. I mean if i stored all my photos in my home folder like many do I’d have no space. One of the benifits of LVM is that you can easily resize the partitions. Thats where i’m stuck. It’s a 500G ssd. I should be able to store a few VMs locally with zero issues. For now it’s fine, but it kind of defeats the purpose of a drive that size if I"m relegated to 60G or whatever that root partition is. It’s almost as if the rest of the drive is inaccessable. However… when looking at free space it shows 300 and some GiG free as if it is behaving correctly. That is until i run out of space again. Here is the output of df

Filesystem                               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs                                 7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
tmpfs                                    7.8G  495M  7.3G   7% /dev/shm
tmpfs                                    7.8G  2.1M  7.8G   1% /run
/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost--live-root   69G   65G  650M 100% /
tmpfs                                    7.8G  1.5M  7.8G   1% /tmp
/dev/sda1                                976M  301M  608M  34% /boot
/dev/loop3                                63M   63M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/gtk-common-themes/1506
/dev/loop4                                28M   28M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/snapd/7264
/dev/loop2                                55M   55M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/core18/1668
/dev/loop1                               161M  161M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/gnome-3-28-1804/116
/dev/loop0                                94M   94M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/core/9066
/dev/loop5                                49M   49M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/gtk-common-themes/1474
/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost--live-home  382G  9.5G  353G   3% /home
/dev/loop6                                25M   25M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/snapd/6434
/dev/loop7                                65M   65M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/bluemail/20
/dev/loop9                               194M  194M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/mailspring/468
/dev/loop8                                55M   55M     0 100% /var/lib/snapd/snap/core18/1705
tmpfs                                    1.6G   20K  1.6G   1% /run/user/42
tmpfs                                    1.6G  472K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000
/dev/sdb1                                220G   34G  174G  17% /run/media/matthew/M-train

You can see what’s taking up space with du. Start at the top and go down the rabbit hole:
du -hs /*

It’s not that there was a ton of stuff taking up space really, it’s that it shouldn’t have run out to begin with. I understand why that partition doesn’t in theory need to be that big, but if the contents of your home folder are also stored there it creates a problem, it means (from what i’m seeing) that the whole rest of the drive is wasted space. On LVM the home folder usually has it’s own partition, what I can’t figure out is how fedora auto partitioned everything because I can’t seem to resize it. This is where I’m stuck. I just want to make it bigger so I don’t have to worry about it any longer. I’m typing this from my laptop running fedora and I haven’t had any issues with it. It seems like root and home are somehow meshed if i can use that word. they show up as separate partions but if I save a VM in /home/user/vmware it sucks up all the space in /root.
If i look at / it’s only showing 591MB free. using du to track down file sizes shows
/var using 56G
/usr usning 11G
I’d say /var is the culprit but why? what is taking that much space? drilling down farther I can see that /var/lib is taking up 9G but it’s the largest folder i can see. Where is the space going?

A little clarification. After some digging I found that flatpak is sucking up 8.2G of space. Ordinarily I wouldn’t worry about something like that. Turns out it wasn’t my VMs taking up all the space. I just was misunderstanding where it was putting things. The root folder is a 25G partition. But it doesn’t show up for some reason in gnome disks or gparted. Why is this? All i want to do is resize it. I’m fine with that but I can’t figure out how. Just shows one 1G partition (the boot partition) and 1 464G (499 in gnome disks) main partition. That’s it. I’m trying to figure out how fedora has these structured.

A post was split to a new topic: Root partition full