Makeing Blu-Rays on fedora

I’m trying to make isos for blu-rays and they need a menu for the videos I’m burning, support for 720p and support for many files. I’ve tried devede NG(only supports 62 files), K3b(Getting an error), DVD styler(another error), Brasero(again an error), and more and none of them work. Can someone tell me a good CLI or better yet GUI tool that will do the above?

k3b is a popular tool for this. It’s available in the Fedora repos and flatpak:

EDIT: I re-read and saw you mentioned you were getting an error with k3b. Can you share the error with us here to help you troubleshoot it?

yes when ever I make a Video disk it says

Devices
-----------------------
MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AF 1.01 (/dev/sr0, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL) [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, BD-ROM, BD-R Sequential (SRM), BD-R Random (RRM), BD-RE] [SAO, TAO, RAW, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Random Recording, Sequential Recording, Sequential Recording + POW] [%7]

K3b::IsoImager
-----------------------
mkisofs print size result: 0 (0 bytes)

System
-----------------------
K3b Version: 22.8.3
KDE Version: 5.100.0
Qt Version:  5.15.7
Kernel:      6.0.15-300.fc37.x86_64

Used versions
-----------------------
mkisofs: 3.2

mkisofs
-----------------------
mkisofs: Warning: Cannot add inode hints with -no-cache-inodes.
mkisofs: No such file or directory. Failed to open '/tmp/k3bVideoDvdSYaVhX//VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO'.
mkisofs: Can't open VMG info for '/tmp/k3bVideoDvdSYaVhX/'.
mkisofs: Unable to parse DVD-Video structures.
mkisofs: Could not find correct 'VIDEO_TS' directory.

mkisofs calculate size command:
-----------------------
/usr/bin/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -print-size -quiet -volid K3b data project -volset  -appid K3B THE CD KREATOR (C) 1998-2018 SEBASTIAN TRUEG, MICHAL MALEK AND LESLIE ZHAI -publisher  -preparer  -sysid LINUX -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /tmp/k3b.oVtYuS -no-cache-inodes -udf -iso-level 1 -path-list /tmp/k3b.YkzvnN -dvd-video -f /tmp/k3bVideoDvdSYaVhX

as a error log. Any idea how to fix it?

I did find this about creating a bluray on linux. There are more out there.

Note that k3b can burn an iso for a bluray size disk but only if you have a disk in the burner for it to read the size. Otherwise it is limited to CD, DVD (4.7G) or HD-DVD (8.5G) sizes

Thanks @computersavvy but I have already seen this. I did it and I am still getting the error above. Any idea how to fix it?

Creating a video DVD with k3b seems to require certain structure to the files included. That may be the issue to resolve.

1 Like

OK how do we fix that?

I told you I do not do video DVDs. I have no clue, but hopefully someone else is reading this and may be able to offer better advice.

Otherwise it may involve research with man pages and online to find out what k3b requires for video DVDs.

This is part of a typical DVD/BD structure (as well as AUDIO_TS). When you started your project in k3b, did you select “New Video DVD Project”? It looks like devedeng (devede) can generate that file structure for you. It’s available in RPMFusion-free.

The problem with devede is that it will only allow up to HDDVD size of 8.5GB and I have found no way to create a larger BluRay image.

Jon is trying to create a bluray size image.

1 Like

Yes. I can confirm that they only do 62 videos(and to my luck, I have 63). Now I have tred to do k3b with eMovix and it does not work. Same with setting the size to bluray. If I can just make the image I can burn it with K3b but the problem is this is for a friend who would want a menu(I have asked him this). Do anyone know any other apps? his birthday is in 2 weeks and I would like to get it done on time.

It’s possible Handbrake might be able to do it? I’ve normally used it the other way (ripping and encoding), but maybe it can take your project and output to iso? I’ve ripped blu-ray with it before.

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.5.0/introduction/quick-start.html

Otherwise, this one is a bit old and I don’t think in our repos, but perhaps you can compile it?

Blu-ray authoring sort of works. I installed it but I don’t know how to use it to make a .iso file. Do you know how to?

That link leads me to download mkudfiso.

Did you by chance read the README or the INSTALL files?

It seems to not create an ISO9660 image but instead a UDF image.

It appears to use a discrete directory structure that you create with all your files contained in that tree and then creates the image from that structure.

Thus it appears you must actually do all of the authoring yourself and it appears to then only do the image for you. The fact the latest release I found was from 2010 shows rather stagnant code and not active development.

It also explicitly claims to be cli only.

As much as I appreciate the help, I need something to make a image with a menu. Other then that I don’t think this will be much help. Any other ideas?

UPDATE: I just asked my life long friend and he said a data project would be OK BUT he would want a menu with a video project. I can do that but The menu is something I would like to have for his birthday and all of the videos I have NEED to fit on a blu-ray. I can do the data project but if anyone has a video project idea let me know. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I did a bit more searching and came across dvdstyler which is also in RPMFusion-free. The site claims it’s also for building out menus.

https://www.dvdstyler.org/en/

A look at the forums suggests that BlueRay support was added in v3.1 and RPMFusion now ships 3.3.

I tryed that and got an error. Let me try 3.3 and see if their is any difference

Can you report the specific error back here?

Sure one sec