Microphone re-enabled after every reboot. Is this a bug?

I’ve disabled microphone (Fedora 35 GNOME), but I notice that every time I reboot my device the microphone is enabled automatically. So, the mic is disabled only for that session.

But my intension is to turn it off completely. I don’t want to disable it every time I reboot.
At the same time, camera access is completely blocked, the access remains disabled until I turn it on. I want the same thing on my Microphone access which turns on automatically.
I’m not sure if this is a feature or a bug though.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I want to know if this is a bug, if yes can I file a bug with the instruction provided in How to file a bug ?

I want a confirmation, so that I don’t report a bug when it’s not really a bug.
I’m confused whether this is a bug or not :thinking:

1 Like

Hi,

I believe it’s a bug. I noticed this since I started using Fedora (F33). You might want to report on https://bugzilla.redhat.com/

I found a workaround that works for me. Open dconf editor and go to this path:
/org/gnome/desktop/privacy/disable-microphone

Deselect Use default value and select True under Custom value like so:

Cheers

3 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Is there any other way to completely disable mic access ? Because this is getting re - enabled every time. So is there a command or any other way to completely disable it ?

Yeah, I noticed it gets re-enabled sometimes perhaps after updates. It’s really annoying. You can mute the mic in settings. There is also a gnome extension called nothing-to-say. All it does is mute the mic but at least you can have an icon in the tray so you don’t forget in case you need to use it. On my previous laptop I could disable the webcam from the BIOS which was the best solution for me because it disabled the mic as well so you can give that a try.

Unfortunately if you want to completely disable it I think you have to blacklist your sound card which will also completely disable the sound on your laptop.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and yes I agree that there are other solutions available.

But, isn’t this a major issue ? And… many have also noticed this bug… and I think this is must be on a ‘top priority’ to solve. Right ?
(this is just my personal opinion)

Sorry for the delay. I am no expert but I believe it’s not a major bug considering you can disable the mic in many other ways. Still, it’s worth reporting it if you have time. Cheers!

1 Like

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2018158

1 Like

boredom and playing with wireplumber …

pw-cat -r --list-targets | sed 's/[*:]//g' | awk 'NR>=2{print $1}' | xargs -i -t wpctl set-mute {} 1