Mlocate does not find files in /home on fedora 33 (btrfs)

I have a pretty standard fedora 33 install with the default filesystem layout (btrfs).
I just noticed that locate file will not find anything in my home directory.
In the default layout of fedora 33, /home is a btrfs subvolume. Are those not searched by default? If yes, how to enable mlocate on /home?
I am aware of the option to create a new database for /home, but I prefer to have one common index for both, / and /home.

2 Likes

This seems to be a known issue:

2 Likes

Thanks, I was not aware of this. I only searched to issues related to fedora 33, as I figured it would be surfacing about now. Did certainly not expect the issue to be more than 7 years old.

In the bug report you linked there is a crude workaround: Set PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS = "no" in /etc/updatdb.conf. This works a little bit, but also indexes and lists all the btrfs snapshots which btrbk is creating (and pruning) for me. So I guess I will simply have to wait for a real solution to appear.

1 Like

Maybe use PRUNEPATHS to exclude the btrbk parent directory, in addition to PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS ?

1 Like

Very easily to confirm this bug. Just find any fedora installation with btrfs (not necessarily fedora 33, since btrfs had been always available in Anaconda, just not default), type locate <filename> for anything in /home directory and voila, nothing found. (Curiously, GNOME shell search works just fine)
BTW, I create snapshots for my /home directory in /.snapshots/home-$(date +%Y%m%d) and they show up in locate search results.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.