Move /home directory to another partition

I want to create a new partition to which I want to move my /home directory in case anything happens to my Fedora 33 installation, my files and documents are safe. I tried to do this in my out but after I partition the drive, the 2nd partition is not mounted at / but somewhere like /usr/“my user name”/home…. I haven’t found anything on the internet about my particular concern and I don’t want to mess with my install as of now. Feel free to ask for any info that you might need to help me out. Thank you!

1 Like

Before you do anything, make a backup on an external disk that you put away while trying this!

Please see if the following questions are useful:

From old Q/A forum, but don’t see why it wouldn’t apply:

Alternatively, make backups and reinstall Fedora, choose the right partition layout from the start.

3 Likes

How big is the risk of losing my data if I attend this with no backup since I don’t have an external drive? And I also have only one 512 SSD in my computer.

1 Like

If you don’t have an external hard drive, use a flash drive.

Big enough to get annoyed when something happens and you lose some pictures, videos, documents etc. where are important to you !

Please show us how it looks on the HD.
In Terminal type (or cut n paste):

df -h  /  /home
1 Like

Keep in mind that this risk exists all the time, not just when you’re doing particularly-risky operations. Drive failures are inevitable — it’s just a matter of how long it will be until it happens. It’s really worthwhile to make sure you have a daily backup to at least an external drive or networked system, and ideally to somewhere off-site (easy now with cloud providers).

3 Likes

I will try.

[kgbeast@vx512 ~]$ df -h / /home
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/nvme0n1p3 476G 128G 348G 27% /
/dev/nvme0n1p3 476G 128G 348G 27% /home

I will make backups but only after I install a second drive into my laptop. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.