Need more GUI. Do you think so?

Why Fedora have not GUI tools for customization: like systemctl, gdm customization etc? Maybe creation a separate tools for every unit or “supercustomizer” is not bad idea?

1 Like

There is a bunch of UI tools that can be used to issue systemctl commands…

As for cockpit, take a look at the available modules (plugins), which will greatly increase functionality.

It doesn’t get much faster than than the CLI commands though:

systemctl status
systemctl stop some-service
systemctl disable some-service 
5 Likes

gdm is a login manager - it runs as a separate user (gdm), so nothing your user can easily modify.

I recommend leaving it “as-is” and accept it the way it is. (updates to gdm may break your customization; Gnome extensions that allow you to modify GDM may not work with newer version of Gnome, or become unmaintained, etc.).

1 Like

I did not got into details, but believe community could benefit from some kine of metadata for configuration. Never analyzed if MBeans (Lesson: Introducing MBeans (The Java™ Tutorials > Java Management Extensions (JMX))) in Java world is enough, but believe that something like that could be good thing.
I mean you can list configuration options for application->instance[->server->]->feature entry and provide some metadata for configuration (fields and operations). That would be abstraction for how changes are applied (property file,xml, gconf, exec program etc) and also could generalize config app as you just entry data described by metadata and execute commands.

If they exist, someone needs to package them for Fedora. Fedora community package maintainers maintain software that they find useful.

If they don’t exist, it is not up to Fedora to create them. Fedora is downstream. We take FOSS software and build + include it in Fedora. We don’t develop a lot of tools ourselves—mostly only ones that are required for our build pipeline. You can see these here:

https://apps.fedoraproject.org/

So, Fedora did not develop systemd, nor GNOME, nor pulseaudio. We simply use them to build the OS.

The graphic here gives some info:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers

In the spirit of FOSS, people are free to develop tools that they think they would find helpful. They can then also include it in Fedora, or another community member who is a package maintainer may do that if they find it helpful.

“Supercustomisers” are rare because there’s just far too much to customise. The number of configurations/code changes that can be customised is so high that people just tend to do it by hand.
If you have specific customisation questions, you should ask those. This current topic is too open/vague :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I think you’re looking for orchestration tools like puppet/spacewalk:

3 Likes

Development of spacewalk has been discontinued in 2020. OpenSuse forked the project (https://www.uyuni-project.org/). Anyways, I think it’s overkill for single machine administration/customization (not 100% sure what OP had in mind).

1 Like

Thanks, guys. But whats about stacer?

Maybe it need more in default installation of Workstation Edition tools like it?

1 Like

Other options for systems management:

• Ansible — not a gui, but designed for getting systems into a known state
  • Foreman — the upstream project that replaced Spacewalk
  • GNOME Fleet Commander — a tool for managing a fleet of desktops
2 Likes

I ask this question when thinking about for Fedora or something else distro for ordinary human, not geek or not advanced user.

I think overall though Cockpit is the most like what you want here. If it doesn’t have the ability to configure something that you think it should, it’s easily extensible.

In most cases, ordinary humans, not geeks or advanced users, don’t want or need to do extensive tweaks. We try to provide a system for them that just works.

4 Likes

Thats right. But one note, factorial scaling is a great pain (personally for me and maybe for some other peoples), without additional manual settings.

I think that’s a different issue, which is: the details of that feature aren’t entirely perfected in desktop environments, so it’s not exposed easily. When it’s ready, I expect it’ll be in the standard Displays setting panel.

1 Like

Feel free to start a new topic and we will be happy to assist.

2 Likes

No need it, learned tonns of manual help to fix it by myself, but other peeps maybe cannot do this.

If someone doesn’t like GDM or wants more customisation, they can always install another display manager such SDDM or LDM.
They all work well with any desktop and are highly configurable. Plus all the configuration is done via GUI, so no issues for the “average” user.
I would suggest @grsm to do this, if he wants GUI customisation in the display manager.

For Gnome users, I’d double check if the lock screen etc. work without GDM. I remember reading something about GDM being necessary for the lock screen, and am not sure if this has changed recently. Probably best to start a new thread if someone wants to try etc.

I’m closing this thread now. Please open new ones for specific questions.

1 Like