New AMD GPU, fresh F36 install, no Plymouth

I’m on F36, a fresh install with automatic partitioning and encryption. I have an AMD Radeon RX 6650 XT and instead of the Plymouth boot screen I see a grey screen to enter my password and then three dots until I reach the login screen. Everything else seems to be working normally. Any ideas on how to fix this?

By the way, it’s also not working on F37 Beta.

Run sudo dnf install grub2-tools -y && sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg in terminal

And edit the grub.cfg; Add two parameters ‘quiet splash’ at the end of ‘linux’ keword in a menuentry block which you will boot(Fedora Linux 36/37).

In addition, ’ grub-customizer ’ is easy to modify grub, but keep in mind that you should BACKUP that for unexpected situation.

To install, run sudo dnf install grub-customizer -y

To emulate grub menu, run sudo dnf install grub2-emu -y && sudo grub2-emu

If you want to know how that parameters work, see also : https://askubuntu.com/questions/716957/what-do-the-nomodeset-quiet-and-splash-kernel-parameters-mean (Other community…)

Did you by chance encrypt the disk? If you did then that grey screen is likely the luks screen where you enter the password to unlock the disk. The three dots would be the indication that is is unlocking the disk, then it reaches the login screen where you actually login. The login screen is the plymouth screen.

Thanks for the link. Here is the output I got:
sudo: grub-mkconfig: command not found

I tried to search what this means and found something about grub2 but is that what I should use?

Yes, it’s encrypted. I can actually get in an use Fedora just fine. I think this is just a cosmetic issue with the boot screen. I haven’t noticed anything else going on so far.

Oops… sorry, I have fixed.

You enabled encryption. You thus have to live with the display that is necessary to unlock the disk before it can be booted. The suggestion to update the grub.cfg file is totally not required since that display is from luks and not from grub or plymouth.

I’m just trying to get Plymouth to work again like it did with my Nvidia card and luks encryption. I would get the luks password prompt with the Plymouth screen and the Fedora logo instead of this grey screen. Does it not work the same with AMD cards? I haven’t used an AMD gpu on linux in five years so I really can’t remember what it looked like but if that’s the case then I guess it’s working normally.

What plymouth theme are you using?
sudo plymouth-set-default-theme
The default theme is bgrt.
you can set it by sudo plymouth-set-default-theme bgrt
you can see if it’s installed by sudo plymouth-set-default-theme --list

It’s part of plymouth-system-theme if it is not installed.

Yes it’s bgrt. I only see it when I restart/power off but not when I’m booting.

sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg outputs the follwing:
Generating grub configuration file …
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings …
done

That’s the only entry in grub customizer. I’m very confused.
You know that hideous grey password prompt is starting to grow on me. Maybe I should just let it be.

So… I had already given up on this small “problem” with the grey luks password screen because it wasn’t a big deal, but now I seem to have accidentally stumbled on the cause of my troubles. Also, I don’t know if this had anything to do with Plymouth, my new AMD GPU, or if it’s possibly due to a software change that happened to coincide with when I installed the new hardware.

Anyway, the fix is to go in the BIOS and set Legacy USB Support to Auto or Enabled. Now everything looks like it used to with the luks password prompt on a nice black screen with the Fedora logo.

Why did I have Legacy USB Support disabled? Because I have three external hard drives and when I enable that setting it makes POST take significantly longer. So I’ve set that setting to disabled for years without a problem and would only enable it when I had a need to boot from a USB thumb drive. Furthermore, Fedora is installed on a SATA SSD so I don’t understand how this USB setting has any bearing on any of this but I tested it several times and that was indeed the cause.

1 Like