(new linux user)How to completely remove/uninstall any program

I am very new user in LINUX, using fedora 32 64bit. I install netbeans from binary file and other applications via browser( “.run”, ".sh" files. My problems are–
1-> I download netbeans binary, unzip it and place it under “/opt/” and follow some commands
$ vi ~/.bashrc, add this export PATH=“$PATH:/opt/netbeans/bin/”
$ source ~/.bashrc
but i found no shortcut icon of netbeans in menu to start. is there any way to create an icon. Also there is no uninstall file so how can i remove the program from my system completely.
2-> Though there is an uninstall file it don’t remove the files completely how can i remove the program completely without any uninstall file.

PLEASE USE BASIC TERMS TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS AS I AM VERY NEW TO THE LINUX I MAY NOT UNDERSTAND THE ANSWERS.

NetBeans IDE 8.2 Installation Instructions > Uninstalling the Software > Linux

In general case, you should use the instructions provided by the vendor.
Otherwise, google it, or study the installation script and manually revert the modifications.

Package manager is your friend, so try to use packages and repos as much as possible.
You can also utilize virtualization and simply reset the VM or container when you want.
In addition, LVM and some modern file systems support snapshots.

1 Like

thank you so much for your reply but some of the developer tools is not available in package manager(dnf,flatpack repo is added in my case) that’s why i used browser to download and install.
also i want to know is there any other methods or process which i should learn to remove any program completely from my system, cause uninstall files leaves some files which i don’t want to keep.

1 Like

Even when the software is packaged, it still leaves data, caches, logs and may alter some system and user configs that should be manually restored upon its uninstall, but usually it does not affect other packages.

For unpackaged software there is no ideal and unified way to manage, so you should rely on the methods described above.

Personally, I use GNOME Boxes to run apps that are one-time-use, or require unreasonable dependencies, or their vendor is fishy.

1 Like