New user here, some questions about GRUB, KDE Dolphin, and HiDPI

Hi everyone, I’m a new user of Fedora (switching from Ubuntu for some adventure haha) and I’ve just finished installation of Fedora 34 a few days ago. I have a few questions about various things after installation. I don’t know if it’s better to separate them or put them into one post but for this time I’ll just list them here :slight_smile: Sorry if this is not a good way to place the questions.

1. I tried to tweak with my GRUB settings by following the [GRUB 2 - Fedora Project Wiki](official documentation). I’ve added a few kernel parameters for VFIO and also set the GRUB screen resolution using GRUB_GFXMODE in /etc/default/grub, and then update the settings using grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg. However, the updated kernel parameters are correctly reflected in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg but gfxmode does not appear in that file. What could this be caused by?
  2. I used the KDE spin of Fedora. For some reason the X11 version of Plasma does not work well so I used the Wayland version, and I used the X11 version of Plasma before. Everything works well, except for the blurriness for apps running in X11 using XWayland. I use a HiDPI screen with 175% scaling, and it seems XWayland support fractional scaling by directly scaling up the window rendered in smaller size. (Does XWayland support integer scaling correctly? I don’t know about that.) Some of these apps support fractional scaling well under X11, so I wonder if it is possible to let XWayland display these apps in a non-blurry way.
  3. In the new version of Dolphin included in Fedora 34 a single click directly opens a file or a directory. Is there any way to change the behavior to the regular “single click selects a file, double click opens a file” mode?

The content of my /etc/default/grub file is listed below:

GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=fedora_ytliu-tp-t480s/root rhgb quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash intel_iommu=on iommu=pt rd.driver.pre=vfio_pci vfio-pci.ids=10de:1d12 i915.enable_guc=0 i915.enable_gvt=1"
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=true
GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x720x32,640x480x32,auto
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

Looks like it might be a known bug:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1925776

Sorry, I misread your question. I don’t know why GFXMODE would not be working.

1 Like

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=128669#p364263

Welcome to ask fedora @ytliu ,

I hope the link to the KDE Community helps to solve the problem.

P.S.
If you not read #start-here please take y our time to do so. 3 different problems in one topic is not very use-full for others.

1 Like

Thank you! This link exactly solves my problem of double clicking.

Thank you for your advice of spliting questions into different posts. Is it possible for me to split this post into three posts now? Would that be a good thing to do?

I think so … maybe you will have still a time limit and some restrictions because being a new user. You will need it to do in more than one step.

In your case i would let this Request as it is and copy and paste point 2. & 3. to new topics (in the beginning of your new requests you can back link to this one ). When done, edit this one again and remove the text of point 2 & 3 while inserting the link to the new topics.

Yes, it would be a good thing to do.

1 Like

Hi, I’ve moved point 2 and 3 into separate posts (point 2 link, point 3 link), but possibly due to the long delay (I’m sorry for that…) I cannot edit this post to remove point 2 and 3 anymore. Is there anything I can do about that?