New User - Very Excited, Just a Bit Unclear What To Do

What’s happening here is that the commands are getting split in half. The lines in the instructions end with a \ which tells the command line processor to continue to the next line as still one command. That’s why it’s giving you errors. If you type the entire command exactly as given in the instructions, it will work.

But that said, did you try the non-command-line approach first? Learning the command line is totally something you can do, but it sounds like you’ll really want it to be a last resort.

1 Like

What is the non-command line approach? Ha i’m exhausted man. I get where you’re coming froma nd I empathize with your position.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. Sorry if I was unclear. I was saying that even a system that is famous for being user friendly, if someone hasn’t used it before and this person is accostumed to another system, this person could encounter some issues.

3 Likes

Nevermind the last question - I edited it out and now see what’s going on with the corporate structure of the one partner - who ooperates the way that anyone who understands a tax driven, inflated economy works and i’ll let you due your due diligence on that while I figure out this system. After I figure out this system i’m going to contribute to your community so that it doesn’t matter if you’re a daughter* or a grandmother - you’re going to be able to open this laptop and navigate around as if you’d been using it since the 90’s. The $ will be incredibly easy to get considering you’re the only OS that anyone has seen come out of the box onto a PC other than Microsoft and Apple and at this juncture, with the pandemic ripping thorugh the world, everyone is asking: what existed before Apple and Microsoft and then they find out about that there’s been a hidden, open and free cousin this whole time - Linux. That said, I still need to fundamentally understand what i’m looking at here. The docs on Fedoraproject.org don’t have the same content as the link you’ve just shared with me. You might want to take away the redirect for fedoraproject dot org that sends people directly to getfedora.org - I didn’t notice that until right now. That should be a landing page that says “I am…” and four buttons - “a 1+ year fedora user” “Just getting started Fedora but use another distro” “Just getting started with Linux AND Fedora***” “Just here to check things out” Also, i’ve reached my new user max on this thread specifically so I don’t know where to go from here or how to message anyone. A guide on waht this is would also be valuable.

3 Likes

In Gnome, start the app “Software”, then enable “Third Party Repositories”. Gnome is the name of your Desktop Environment, you accees installed apps by clicking on the Activities field on the top left.

2 Likes

Also, for a better understanding. Are you running VirtualBox to host a Fedora 33 Workstation as virtual machine (“Fedora is your guest OS”), or you run Fedora to host virtual machines (headless servers, other distros, MS Windows, bsd, …)?

Did you know that VirtualBox can be installed on Windows and MacOS? So, if you simply want to follow what some instructor is doing in a guest operating system without changing your host operating system, you could install VirtualBox on whatever OS you are running now.

1 Like

From a practical usage point of view, I will suggest you to get Google Chrome Browser once you can’t visit any website that you need to read.

1. Using Firefox, goto Google Chrome - Download the Fast, Secure Browser from Google

2. Choose 64bit RPM for Fedora / Centos / RHEL

3. Download them open by Gnome-software to install

Another way is to use Gnome Software to search for Chrome, enable third party reposity, then install.

When I were new to Gnome Software, I considered direct download from Google is much easier than using Gnome Software.

Google Chrome can see Youtube out of the box for me.

I tried replying to two different responses and received the following error: “You’ve reached the maximum number of replies a new user can create on their first day. Please wait 9 hours before trying again.”

@augenauf regarding this comment:

"Also, for a better understanding. Are you running VirtualBox to host a Fedora 33 Workstation as virtual machine (“Fedora is your guest OS”), or you run Fedora to host virtual machines (headless servers, other distros, MS Windows, bsd, …)?

Did you know that VirtualBox can be installed on Windows and MacOS? So, if you simply want to follow what some instructor is doing in a guest operating system without changing your host operating system, you could install VirtualBox on whatever OS you are running now."

I do know that it can run on MacOS and Windows. I no longer user windows and haven’t for 10 year. When I switched to Mac, I thought I was switching to something more aligned with Linux. I didn’t keep the ThinkPad X1 Gen 8 so that I can continue to operate on an Apple product - but I do appreciate the insight and yes, I’m aware - thank you.

I"m using VirtualBox b/c that’s what the instructor on the course that I’m unable to start (out of my own ignorance of this how this system works) says to use. I see he actually then goes into installing the Ubuntu Distro . Here’s the course link by Dave Cohen titled “Hands-on Linux: Self-Hosted WordPress for Linux Beginners” where he shows you the ins-and-outs of linux and how to run an eCommerce store on WordPress that is 100% secure - HIPAA compliant and PCI DSS compliant.
https://www.udemy.com/course/hands-on-linux-self-hosted-wordpress-for-linux-beginners/

To answer your question further regarding “why” and “who”- I’m aiming to re-build an eCommerce marketplace (WooCommerce + WC Vendors - multiple vendors) using WordPress and would like to do that by using the hardware security that the ThinkPad comes with, flexibility in terms of security and freedom that Linux comes with and anything that I can use that’ll help a healthcare worker find quality, cheap personal protective equipment where they can also network with each other (using BuddyBoss) and develop content that’s shared both with their name attached and anonymously (using LearnDash) for sensitive content that needs to be said but isn’t communicated in the healthcare environment right now. simply put, being a contact tracer and travleingthe USA with my g/f who is an ICU nurse - people are dying from the virus everyday b/c ofa lack of access to PPE and lack of training and most importantly - lack of communication/knowledge. I’m aiming to change that with wordpress by leveraging the hardware security of thinkpad, OS security ofLinux and w/ cloud security i’ll justuse AWS or Google Clodu (on both) and Salesforce.

I understand everyone here is doing remarkable things and I do appreciate you all, the engineers, developers and tech enthusiasts. I’m sorry for coming out so strong on here - I just didn’t expect my post to evenbe shown. With that said, I also understand fundamental economics - debt, inflation and taxes and I now see what software companies are doing and how they’re doing it. Whether it’s apple or Microsoft or other unmentionable companies - i see them now and it’s frustrating but you’re absolutely correct in that - I’m projecting on here so I’m sorry.

1 Like

Ok, step by step,

you are on a Thinkpad X1 and you have Fedora 33 installed and updated? Correct? Now you want to follow the guy’s instructions (can’t see them since I didn’t purchase his course). As far as I understand from your text above he is using Ubuntu server in a virtual machine. Correct?

There is two ways to achieve that.

1.) in Gnome Boxes (comes with Gnome) or Virtual Machine Manager (install it using the following command from a terminal: sudo dnf -y install virt-manager); Download the iso from ubuntu and create a VM with the settings (RAM, CPU, network) that the instructor is using.

2.) Install Virtualbox:
Download https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.18/VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Linux_amd64.run; then in a terminal enter the following commands to execute the “installer”.

cd ~/Downloads
chmod +x VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Linux_amd64.run
./VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Linux_amd64.run

(installs to /opt and comes with an uninstall script)

Then download the ubuntu iso and follow the instructors steps.

This does not sound trivial. You may want to find someone to help you achieve the technical solution and interconnect the pieces. Don’t get me wrong but I am afraid that if you are new to Linux, web development, and network infrastructure, the development of that platform will overwhelm you.

That doesn’t exist - if it is interesting enough it will get hacked or cracked.

Let us know how the steps above are turning out for you.

1 Like

Hey okay well i’m now seeing what Gnome Boxes are - I tried to download Ubuntu through Gnome boxes but it said that it failed b/c of BIOS settings. I have no idea what those are - and if I don’t need to take up space on here then I don’t want to b/c what it seems like is that everything is the same - it’s just the way things look and feel are a bit different. It’s not that I don’t want to use what’s out of the box w/ Fedora - it’s just that I don’t know how to. Regarding the WordPress stuff - it’s already built. I can easily rebuild it - I just want to have all of the files stored onto this hardware and then I’lll use Vultr or AWS or Google Cloud services for other stuff. Re: the security, there’s open source PCI DSS and HIPAA security plus my email is secure through Google Workspace. One thing that made this better so far - downloading a theme that makes this look like MacOS. The next step is to get desktop icons and to get evderything on here looking like a Mac. Sonuds ridiculosu to a developer - I’m sure. REality is - that’s where I"m coming from so mirroring that experience is going to be my best route to learning this.

One last thing to note: please be conscious of the fact that i’ll literally copy and paste whatever you put into the terminal. Inlcuding the backwards sad face wink? I have no point of reference as to what is usually done in this system what-so-ever. In other words - if you could please pretend that you’re not a programmer lol then that’d make this easier and I do appreciate your help!

I’m now figuring out if I’m going with Vultr, AWS or DigitalOcean for a VPN. I thought htis came w/ a VPN but maybe I misread that and am thinknig of a VPS? What is Gnome Boxes then? Ha.

I get it. I don’t think it’s ridiculous, it shows the beauty of open source; you can do with it whatever you want. However, I have to tell you that desktop icons won’t be possible with Gnome. If you want that you may need to install another Fedora Spin: https://spins.fedoraproject.org

Also, since you seem to like MacOS a lot, there is the Elementary OS distribution that looks a lot like MacOS out of the box.

Okay awesome - thanks for the link but i’m not gonna be investing anything more into this until I figure out if I’m gonna keep it -even if it is just $20. The computer was a gift from my g/f but something that I was going to buy anyways and something I’ll continue to invest in if I can sort this. I suppose I’m stubborn in this regard and it’s costed me a couple of weeks of work now - which means I’ve lost contracts trying to figure htis out and no one but myself is to blame here - but I do have regrets now. So, I’d liek to try the XFCE Desktop spin - how do I use that?

You don’t necessarily have to donate money to the developers. You can simply put a $0 value in the field and go ahead.

You download the .iso and follow the Install Guide: Preparing for Installation :: Fedora Docs
Those steps are always the same, no matter what spin or even distribution (ubuntu, manjaro, debian, mint) you want to boot off a USB pen drive.

Note that Xfce is pretty raw (or “vanilla”) in Fedora. If you want to check out how nice Xfce can look like, take a look at Manjaro - they are doing some customization for it to look more beautiful and modern.

okay gothca. i’m realizing now that they’re having me set up a VPS in the training that Fedora Workstatino has a server and this is what the first udemy course - that focused on fedora - had me set up and when I set ehtat up, this is waht the Fedora REddit community said is incredibly risky and I need to get rid of it so I had to reinstall Fedora again. I’ve resinstalled Fedora 3 times now ha. i’m so mentally exhausted and I don’t know who I can actually reach out to for help other than here - and this doesn’t give me the opportunity to be open without bashing sooo where do i go from here… also, how many replies do I have left b/f you block me out for another day?

It’s 7:30 am and day 12 of getting nowhere with this. I’m honestly mentally exhausted from all of this and I don’t know how to private message on this and Reddit is clearly not the same community as this? or maybe it is? IDK man. i’m done. this was a disappointment.

@liamdev i do understand your Situation. I also get crazy when my infrastructure not works a it should. So that’s why i tell you something what you maybe not want to here. But please think about it, it will make you more calm and you will be able to focus on what you really need.

My proposal:
Look that your computer is working on Windows so, that you can work fine. Without any distraction. Eventualy you have to update memory and HD. SSD drive helps also to work faster.

From there you just work with the Virtualbox (for tutorials etc.) where is also available for Windows. There you can install Whatever distribution you want. You can make a snapshot anytime and restart when something goes wrong. With YouTube working you have also access to a lot of tutorials who bring you closer to the world of Linux.

So you will be able to do your daily business and learning parallel without missing your Infrastructure as you need.

Good luck.

By the way: I’m 52 and know that learning new things gets more difficult and needs more time as when i was in my 20ies .

4 Likes

Hey there, thanks for the insight. I’m using Macbook. I was under the false pretense that Macbooks weren’t able to be hacked until I recently got a virus. Never happened before and it was evidently through Adobe - which I understand is a company that has been unofficially named “malware” so in light of this, I wanted to look for alternatives and going back to windows seems like getting a horse and a buggy whip opposed to Linux - which is being your own dream car. I understand there’s a lot of mechanics to doing this - but I figured that the steering wheel would still be called a steering wheel the bumper would still be called the bumper and the muffler would still be called a muffler (if I’m sticking with this car analogy) - and that is not the case.

I’m also discovering that everything is built on Linux and Unix and I’m seeing how these things were renamed and for the most part - hidden from the average consumer - or at least until this experience I thought it was being hidden - for corporate profit driven reasons. Now I’m unclear if that’s the truth. It now seems like there’s two sides to these companies, as they’ve morphed into conglomerate share-holder value centric organizations - the first part - which is to make everyday computer use easy for the average user. That’s MacOS and Windows. Now it’s Microsoft and Apple swallowing everything up and keeping people in their matrix.
Here’s what I want to do.
Continue to use Fedora 33 so that I can figure it out.
Create a VM with Ubuntu in Fedora - it seems like Gnome boxes are the best way but I will nottttt understand your bootable disk language so I’d appreciate a quick walk thorugh on how to achieve this and if it’s command line code - then plese include the code and the code only on each line b/c I don’t know which other symbols such as "s 's )'s :s etc. are supposed to be separators or part of the command line code
Conceptually what i’m doing and technically what I need to do to create this virtual machine with Gnome so I can get Ubuntu up and running.
Understand if Fedora has a server that’s apart of this Lenovo contract that you’ve worked out that I can use.
If Fedora does not or even does have a server, is this a “Virtual Private Server” and if so, do I even need anything like Amazon Web Services (AWS)?
Do I need a VPN or does that also come with Fedora?
I’d also like to understand if I’m able to use this Red Hat Developer License to use their products to help healthcare workers.
Lastly, I have five different projects that I’m working on in WordPress - each one, if successful, will have an eCommerce store and most of them will be multi-vendor. I know how to do that in WordPress - it’s easy… My question is around - what should I use for security and compliance? What should I use for servers, VPS, VPN etc.? Right now, I’m using HostGator Reseller License, WordPress and WooCommerce and I’m just trying to figure out what I can do for low-cost while our economy is in shambles and the easiest way to make this multiple-vendor easily distributable so that I can openly share all of the work that I do with everyday, average people that just need a shot at making some scratch throughout this chaotic pandemic.
The business side is easy the wordpress side is easy the security and virtual machine virtual server etc. side is unclear. Please help!

By the way - I understand now that this is a community and someone had mentioned before that i’m not “owed” anything.
The reality is, I am. My lady bought a $1,400 laptop from Lenovo that’s built on Linux with support and the OS is Fedora. When I call Lenovo, they bounce me in a million different directions then tell me to go to Fedora.
As an operating system that has typically been community drive, non-profit oriented - I understand that you feel you don’t “owe” anyone.
When someone buys a main-stream product for over $1,000 and it has your operating system on it, well then the narrative has changed and that may be something that the board will have to address b/c the reality is, one can go to prison for stealing a computer that’s worth $500 and that’s considered a federal crime. If I stole a computer w/ Fedora on it - I’d go to federal prison for both stealing the computer AND Fedora.
When my operating system on a computer that costed nearly 3x that amount isn’t working, I consider that a pretty big deal and if I’m pushed away by the manufacturer and sent to the OS creators - well then I think it’s time for the creators to realize that they’re now mainstream and it might not be ideal - but it’s the reality of the situation.
Also, in your position it might be worth time to think about this as you can probably expect several more people jut like me - so this might be an important “board” discussion for you folks to consider b/c it’s happening and it’s real.
I may just be one of the first everyday average users to shine light on it. Fedora is mainstream now. You have two parts to your non profit org/business that are commercially driven on a massive, ubiquitous scale… food for thought and absolutely not meant to be attacking - just saying it as it is.
To put all of that into a couple of sentences:
I didn’t switch from American National Red Cross to Linux Fedora; I switched from Apple MacOS to Lenovo Linux Fedora 33.
hope you understand :slight_smile: and I do appreciate your help.

1 Like

Fedora Linux has an edition that is made to run on servers. getfedora.org

you call a server a VPS if it runs on someone else’s hardware (as a virtual machine on shared infrastructure somewhere in a datacenter). You would rather call it your “private server” if it runs on your Thinkpad, or if it runs in a VM on your Thinkpad. Virtual private server - Wikipedia

Make sure you understand the difference between software (Fedora Linux or Ubuntu are the operating systems) and the hardware they run on, which can be in a virtual machine, on a physical device (say your Thinkpad), or “in the cloud”, for example on rented hardware from Linode, AWS, …

The idea would be to set everything up in virtual machine(s) on your local machine, and if that works you can deploy a vm in the cloud and replicate your local setup, but you need to master your host OS, Virtualization, and Ubuntu system administration before you do that.

VPN is just a software, see Virtual private network - Wikipedia, Fedora has all the tools to setup various kinds of VPN connections, if needed.

Get someone experienced help you with your idea!!!

2 Likes

I guess you got it wrong. You saved about 200$ because your computer not got delivered with a Proprietary OS.

It is pity that people today still assume that opensource software is “free”.

It is but not free as in “a free beer”.

It is free as in freedom to read the open code to change it and redistribute it for free (respecting the specific Licenses).

if you can do it on your own, you mad your day, and got it free of charge … otherwise it is like any other service, you have to pay for!

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Question about testing Fedora spins

Jumping in a tad late, but I’d not looked at this thread before. The above command would have worked if you’d included the name of the repo, because as you wrote the command, dnf had no idea what repo to enable. To enable all the rpmfusion repos with one command, enter this command as root:

dnf --enablerepo rpmfusion*

Then, you can use the various repos exactly the same way you use the standard ones.

1 Like