New WIN 11 box coming, can I Grub it so it has WIN + Fedora?

Hi. My computers all crashed due to hardware errors. They were quite old anyway. So, after considerable consideration, I am buying a new tower that comes with a 1 Tb disk and WIN 11 installed.

Obviously, I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t a Fedora aficionado. Therefore I wonder whether it is possible to grub the disk so that it has Fedora as well as WIN 11. If possible, how can I find the steps to achieve this goal? I surmise from other writers that it is indeed possible, but I don’t know how to start.

Any advice, links, or admonitions?

1 Like

I have also considered wiping out WIN11, and just installing Fedora.

Could there be problems with this approach

1 Like

Fedora’s installer can setup the dual boot for you. It will be a lot easier if Windows is installed first. Fedora’s installer will detect Windows and setup the grub boot menu for it.

1 Like

This is the strategy I always go with :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Is that available on the live USB Installer approach? Can you give any more details about how Fedora will set up grub for me? I know less about this than I thoght.

Yes. Fedora will detect Windows in the installer and will setup dual boot by default. You can also, optionally , delete all your windows partitions and just run Fedora, straight from the installer as well. I generally do the latter when I’m installing Fedora since I have up windows a very long time ago.

1 Like

If you do this you can take a back up of your whole windows 11 if ever i never needed for my case but you may need just make a back up to a drive and install fedora in whole disk and you may consider full disk encryption that win does not offer.