Not enough disk space

Hello,

I am not an advanced user, this may have an obvious answer;

I have a 500 gb m.2, I used halve of it, 250 gb to install Fedora, I chose the automatic LVM that Fedora does.

Last night, I tried installing Libre Office, came back an error about not enough disk space, I thought ‘no problem’, I will just resize it.

But on GParted, All I see is one LVM With 10% used, 90% free; I fail to understand how there is not enough space for Libre Office, nor how to resize such volumes. I do not mean to be silly.

I leave a screenshot.

Tnx.

2 Likes

Hello @anon51196573
What happens, I guess, is that the system partition is nearly full, while the home has a lot of free space, classic :smoking:
As far as I know, gparted is unable to handle LVM. Yeah, it can see the LVM partiton, but it can’t manage the content.
If you want a GUI, you can try blivet-gui, but as far as I can see, it is unable to resize mounted volumes (you should boot with a live system). Actually, LVM volumes could be resized even if they are mounted, but you have to use the command line (commands like lvresize, resize2fs, etc.).

2 Likes

Note that Ext4 supports only offline shrinking, and XFS does not support shrinking.
So, you need to either log out, unmount /home and perform the resizing from CLI, or boot from another drive, e.g. Live media.
Also, I recommend to use lvresize --resizefs instead of separate volume and file system resizing to minimize potential issues which may lead to data loss.

1 Like

OK,

I booted from a live media, I fixed the issue, but only temporarily, it goes at it again when I install more programs, ha.

I decided to reinstall my system, and this time I made the partitions myself, so far is good.

Thx.

2 Likes

Btw, a simple command to check out free disk space is

df -h
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.