Notebook power management (battery vs plugged in)

Is there a way to automatically switch power profiles when on mains power vs battery (with Fedora 30)?

I’m a bit in the dark about how Fedora does power management in general (for all I know it might do battery/plugged-in switching by default?) When searching docs.fedoraproject.org I only came across some seemingly outdated material (eg. Fedora 19). I’d be interested in pointers to any relevant and up-to-date docs as well as answers to my specific question. Cheers.

1 Like

This was apparently ‘flagged by the community’ as spam.

Weird.

It was caught by the system’s spam filter: “This new user tried to create multiple posts with links to the same domain (docs.fedoraproject.org)…” and was then approved manually by a member of staff.

1 Like

Does Discourse allow you to exclude domains from the filtering rules? If so perhaps all the fedoraproject properties should be added.

1 Like

Hello there,
It should be automatic. I mean, if I have my laptop on battery it uses the profile I configured for on battery and if I plug it, it switches to On AC, and so on. I can override this as well, if I need to.
Most of the time, power management is done from desktop, so what’s your desktop? And do you have any extra app/tool installed for power management? Also, what laptop do you have?
Regards,
Silvia

:+1:

I think I’ve added that now, let’s see if it works in the future

1 Like

I’m using the stock Gnome on Wayland, Fedora 30, on a Dell XPS 15 9570. I haven’t explored tlp, powertop or any other power management tool.

Hmm. I’m new to Gnome, but haven’t found any power profile settings in the settings app. It has settings for screen brightness / dimming, timing for blanking the screen, auto suspend etc. But none of these have different settings for AC/battery.

I was hoping to be able to have the laptop switch the cpu automatically to a lower power state when on battery, as well as the screen stuff (and override manually when necessary).

I suppose I’ll have to look into some of the power saving daemons available. I’m a bit concerned about conflicts with gnome and whatever else fedora does in its stock state.

1 Like

Uhm. Looks like a Gnome specific issue. I’m using KDE and there is a power management tab in settings, but profiles are triggered by events, automatically. For example, if I plug my laptop the screen will go brighter and it won’t put the screen to sleep when I’m not using the laptop.
Sorry I can’t help you better.