Notifications, no sound on Trash Emptied, KDE Plasma F30

Hi fedorians,
I have small (but annoying for me) issue in F30 KDE Plasma spin. It seems that when I set the sound for the the trash Emptied in KDE Settings->Notifications->Plasma Workspace, they do not take effect (even if you check the Run Command option or Show message in popup under trash: Emptied). If I test the sound there it works, but not on the desktop trash icon. I changed the default sound but still no sound when I empty the trash can on my desktop. Moreover, none of the options work under trash: emptied. Anyone with the same issue or does anyone know how to fix this (fully updated F30 KDE Plasma)? Or am I doing smthn wrong?

Regards,
A.

Could you create a new user to see if the issue persists there? That will tell us whether it’s some config in the current user that you are using.

If the issue persists with the new user also, it would indicate a bug. I guess the next step then would be to test a Fedora 31 KDE image to see if the issue has been fixed in the newer versions there—but one step at a time :slight_smile:

Hi Francisco,
thx for the prompt respond. It was my second install of F30 and both times the desktop trash icon does not produce any sound (I also tried it in virtualbox). However, when I use the icon in Dolphin on the left panel (Places), then the sound works as it should be. Only, the desktop trash icon does not produce any sound, or popup message or run command. I use the Folder view (defaults) in the desktop settings, unlocking/locking the widgets has no effect. It smells of a Plasma problem.
Brgds,

A.

1 Like

Hi, @astorbg. In such a case, can it be that desktop icon / widget has it’s own (i.e. separate) sound/notification settings? Just a guess, I’m a gnome user myself :wink: And can’t check myself if it actually does or not.

2 Likes

@astorbg—quite possibly, if it isn’t so by design as @nightromantic suggested. However, assuming it’s a bug, now that we’ve established that it isn’t limited to any user preferences, maybe it’ll be worth checking with a F31 live image to see if the issue persists there? F31 is almost ready for release—should be released in a few weeks:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/31/Schedule

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/prerelease

Yeh, it could just be by design so we need another KDE user to weigh in here. I’m also on Gnome/Workstation here. :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi @astorbg, long time ago i did use of KDE plasma but never did check those things :), I think that kde desktop by default is showing “the trash icon” like a usual folder but with his own image and it is not taking the associacion that you should wait, However, try adding the trash widget there maybe exit a special widget to it and see if you can adjust sounds or see what settings it does offer. (at least it is what i belive remember but not sure at all)

Regards.

Thx guys for your suggestions. Yes, I tried to delete the icon on the desktop and put a new one from the default widgets, I checked/changed the settings, but no success. It even doesnt work on the task manager as widget there. It seems it works only in Dolphin. Perhaps it is by design as @nightromantic suggested. It used to work in KDE4 and one of the earlier Plasma 5 versions. Btw, I checked in virtualbox Mageia 7 and Debian 10 Plasma versions and the issue is present there as well (so it is not F30 problem). Anyway, I think this thread should be suspended since we dont know whether the issue is a bug or by design. Meanwhile waiting for F31 to come out :smiley:

Regards,

A.

1 Like

You can try to file a bug or feature request to KDE project. As you’ve confirmed it’s not Fedora specific, then the place to report/request it is upstream KDE, I think.

It can be a papercut issue and easy to fix – but someone has to point the developers that it’s needed/wanted. Of course, I don’t know if KDE developers are responsive to such requests. But I agree with the notion that if we want something fixed, we should at least point it out to developers in appropriate fashion. )

1 Like