Nvidia Optimus, upgraded F29 to F30

Hi,

I have a Lenovo T520 with Nvidia Optimus graphics:

$ lspci |grep -E 'VGA|3D'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF119M [Quadro NVS 4200M] (rev a1)

I managed to get it working fine under F29, but I don’t remember what exactly was the thing that worked. I’ve added bumblebee and rpmfusion at some point to the repos dnf uses and it also shows negativo17.

I noticed that Optimus no longer works because the DVI-Ports from the docking station are driven by the Nvidia card of the laptop and the DVI screen isn’t used after the upgrade to F30.

How do I find out which driver (nouveau, Optimus Prime, bumblebee, proprietary nvidia, …) is currently used? What’s the preferred way to get it to work again?

You can use lspci -k to see the driver in use now. grep VGA won’t work in this case as info about driver is printed on separate lines.

I’ve never had Optimus laptop (but did use proprietary NVIDIA driver on my desktop), I personally would go with negativo17, drivers, check info on his page (there’s some Optimus-related info as well), and also check this Fedora quick-doc.

Generally, as far as i know, you have to reinstall proprietary drivers after Fedora upgrade.

OK, now I get:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device 21d1
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

for the intel integrated driver and

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF119M [Quadro NVS 4200M] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Lenovo Device 21d1
Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia

for the Nvidia device, where the line for Kernel driver in use is missing.

I checked the installed nvidia driver and it looks like it’s the wrong one: 3:430.14-1.fc30 from negativo17. If I’m not mistaken, then this driver no longer supports the NVS 4200M and I need the 390.xxx. Why did Fedora install this? Seems like I have to search for a way to install the right driver with dnf.

Sorry, @mithos09, I haven’t checked the model of your GPU.

Negativo’s drivers are only for quite new GPUs (he maintains only latest stable version).

Older drivers (like 390xx) can be installed from rpmfusion repository – the link was in the quickdoc, also check their how-to here.

Fedora itself wouldn’t install it, as far as I know, you’ve had to do it yourself) Maybe they got updated with Fedora upgrade, if they were installed before you’ve upgraded? Though as far as I know it shouldn’t happen. Then again, I usually reinstall Fedora cleanly, so I haven’t tested it myself.

Again, as far I know it, Optimus works by disabling GPU you don’t use and enabling the other one. So maybe there’s no driver in use because nvidia’s GPU is inactive. That’s just a guess.