Nvidia Settings is not showing Xserver settings and vaapi driver not working for Geforce 840M

I am using Fedora 30 on my lenovo flex laptop which has Nvidia 840M along with Intel Corei5 Haswell.

I recently installed the Nvidia proprietary drivers using the rpmfusion method. The drivers are installed and working and I can choose to run an application to use the Nvidia OpenGL drivers using the __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 env variable mentioned here.

However there are still some problems

Firstly, when I do LIBVA_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia vainfo I get the following error:

Maximum number of clients reached libva error: /usr/lib64/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so init failed

This entails that vlc does not play videos in this environment and it throws the same error. It works fine with the default i965 driver.

Secondly, the Nvidia Xserver settings dialog is not showing any X server settings as expected (see image below).

The application profiles section is also unusable and running it from command line gives the following error:

$ nvidia-settings

(nvidia-settings:11458): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 00:11:50.205: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

ERROR: nvidia-settings could not find the registry key file. This file should have been installed along with this driver at /usr/share/nvidia/nvidia-application-profiles-key-documentation.

The application profiles will continue to work, but values cannot be prepopulated or validated, and will not be listed in the help text. Please see the README for possible values and
   descriptions.

What can I do to alleviate these problems?