Possibility to get real email account

I knew from the wiki that FAS users get only email alias with no storage as mentioned below:

You will not be provided with any sort of POP, IMAP, or web-based email access. You will not be provided with any mail storage. These aliases are forwarding-only . In order to send mail ‘from’ these addresses, you must set the From header on your email from your current email client. Many free web-based email services do not offer this ability, so you may need to establish an account elsewhere to gain this ability. The necessary configuration steps vary for each email client, so you are on your own to figure out how to do this.

Is there a possibility to get a mail storage? I know there are opensource mail providers but that isn’t my choice.

In case the answer is no, is there a linux distro which offers it other than ubuntu ?

Since the FAS e-mail is simply an alias, you configure it to point to your personal e-mail account. If you do not want to use Yahoo or GMail, for example, you will most likely need to set up a self-hosted solution, such as dovecot. Fedora can be used to host your own e-mail server. Read more about that here.

2 Likes

I don’t need to have a self hosted email, but looking for a Linux distribution who offers it or one of it’s application like fedora apps in example.

Free hosting for community members.

Sorry, the community doesnt provide that at the moment simply because there are so many email services that hosting one ourselves is not considered the best use of our limited resources. (It isnt as simple as just deploying it, it has to be maintained, kept secure, kept up to date) The infra team is already quite stretched and are prioritising the new bits required for our build systems and so on :slightly_smiling_face:

There are open source email hosts around, so you can have a look and pick one that fits your needs:

1 Like