Problem with installing fedora33

Here is place with error decoding:

File “/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyudev/_util.py”

def ensure_unicode_string(value):
“”"
Return the given value as unicode string.

If the given ``value`` is not a unicode string, but a byte string, it is
decoded with the filesystem encoding (as in
:func:`sys.getfilesystemencoding()`).
"""
if not isinstance(value, six.text_type):
    value = value.decode(sys.getfilesystemencoding())
return value

Who know python?, may be something change in this file and anaconda will be start without crash?
I tried memtest86.com Errors 0

Centos 7 has NOT such bug!
Centos 8 has such bug
Fedora 23 has NOT such bug!
Fedora 25 i can see “selection of languges”, but with a lot of errors at graphical window
Fedora 26 first os, which anaconda crashes

1 Like

Here is topic with the same error message:
https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?316831-Cannot-Install-Fedora-27-Workstation-ISO-on-HP-Pavilion

I do not understand, what wrote user pugnary?
OEMDRV?

1 Like

In other words:
He removed the drive “OEMDRV” from the computer (Disk with Windows and recovery from reseller). Just then he was able to install with success. He beliefs that Anaconda can’t deal with this kind of system.

P.S.
@user2021 what is your language ?

My language is russian.
If sda5 is OEMDRV 20Gigabyte, may be problem with sda5 because, when i see cfdisk /dev/sda
I see:
sda1
sda2
sda3
sda4
Empty space( i deleted all Linux partitions)
sda5

So sda5 is a last place of ssd.

Today i installed fedora 24, and via dnf upgrade to fedora 29.
Tomorrow i shall upgrade to fedora 33, i hope.

Fedora 24 has phyton 3.5 and has NOT file:
/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pyudev/_util.py
Anaconda was rewrote in Fedora 25 with a lot of mistakes!

1 Like

Feel free to send pull requests to rewrite the bad code.

Yeah, this supports my theory. It looks like there was special code added to handle “OEMDRV” partitions added in F27 (or maybe F26, as you say that’s the first one that crashes), and there is apparently some outstanding bug in that code.

I think your English is just fine for filing a bug report, but if you don’t feel comfortable doing it I will on Monday.

Hey, let’s please be excellent to each other. @user2021, that’s not really an accurate picture; anaconda is under constant development and in general code quality is quite high. It’s true that bugs sometimes sneak in — they always do — but F25 was not particularly problematic in that regard. And @ilikelinux … while you’re not wrong, there’s a nicer way to say that, please.

1 Like

I’m glad you found a workaround. I think you’ll need to take a few steps to go from 29 to 33 rather than going all at once, but this should basically work.

I upgraded from 24 to 25, 25 to 26 etc…

In spring 2020, i installed Fefora 31 to Lenovo laptop, with Windows 10. And i have problems with install too. Anaconda can not see ssd in uefi mode. I was able to install Fedora 31 in Legacy Mode only.
And now i can boot Windows at Ueffi mode, but Linux in legacy mode :frowning:

Hi, I still have this exact same issue trying to install Fedora 34.
Long story short, it is not possible to install any flavour of Fedora on my desktop machine, whether I use a Live image or a netinst image:

anaconda 34.24.9-1.fc34 for Fedora 34 started.
 * installation log files are stored in /tmp during the installation
 * shell is available on TTY2 and in second TMUX pane (ctrl+b, then press 2)
 * when reporting a bug add logs from /tmp as separate text/plain attachments
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/sbin/anaconda", line 506, in <module>
    ignore_oemdrv_disks()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/pyanaconda/ui/lib/storage.py", line 384, in ignore_oemdrv_disks
    matched = device_matches("LABEL=OEMDRV", disks_only=True)
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/pyanaconda/core/storage.py", line 180, in device_matches
    single_spec_matches = udev.resolve_glob(full_spec)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/blivet/udev.py", line 163, in resolve_glob
    for dev in get_devices():
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/blivet/udev.py", line 81, in get_devices
    dev = device_to_dict(device)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/blivet/udev.py", line 53, in device_to_dict
    result = dict(device.properties)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyudev/device/_device.py", line 1068, in __getitem__
    return ensure_unicode_string(value)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pyudev/_util.py", line 64, in ensure_unicode_string
    value = value.decode(sys.getfilesystemencoding())
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xa8 in position 0: invalid start byte

I’ve logged this bug with Redhat at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1984913

@mattdm is there any specific troubleshooting information that you’re aware of which might be helpful here?

Looks like some problem with partitioning.
Make sure to back up all your data to an external disk.
Then use GNOME Disks or parted to remove all partitions from the system disk.

Thanks for the tip - not feasible unfortunately. Can you say how this would resolve the problem?

I’d suggest including a listing of your partition table. ( sudo lsblk -f as above.)