Proper way to remove Fedy

Hi all,

I am now on Fedora 30 and it has been brought to my attention that having Fedy installed is not recommended because it makes system changes which might not be clear to the user.

I have it installed since Fedora 28, and true enough I haven’t really used it. So I might as well remove it.

Searching through the installed RPMs coming from it’s repo I get the following output:

[xxx@wasteland ~]$ dnf list installed | grep @fedy
fedy.noarch                                       4.6.0-1.fc28                                            @fedy                     
fedy-font-config.noarch                           1.0.1-1.fc28                                            @fedy 

So I reckon the following commands will properly remove Fedy from my system:

[xxx@wasteland ~]$ sudo dnf remove fedy-font-config
[xxx@wasteland ~]$ sudo dnf remove fedy
[xxx@wasteland ~]$ sudo rm /etc/yum.repos.d/fedy.repo

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

@biosharkdev, basically, you’re right. I have to say I don’t know anything about Fedy, but if we treat it like normal packages, then you’re doing it right.

You can optimize a bit like this:

sudo dnf remove fedy

can remove both packages, if fedy-font-config is marked as a dependency for fedy. Basically it depends from how the quality of original packages. It is something you can cont for fro the packages from the official repository. But you should be prudent and check anyway )
And dnf will tell you exactly what it’s going to do, so checking is really easy.

Second way is this:

sudo dnf remove 'fedy*'

This will remove all the packages you have with name starting with fedy. Again, check nothing you need gets removed before approving the operation.

Again, both these commands are just optimizations aimed at entering one command instead of two. You can do it your way, it’s totally ok )

1 Like

One more thing to note. Many programs do store configuration somewhere in /etc (if it’s system-wide), or in you home folder (if it’s user-specific). Generally it gets left behind on removing the packages – especially if there were some changes made to the default configuration. It’s done this way so that if you decide to reinstall the program again, you still have your original configuration.

You can leave these configuration files as is, they are generally quite small, and they don’t get used if you have no program that created them.

But you may want to delete them as well (as you do with sudo rm /etc/yum.repos.d/fedy.repo for repo file) so that you don’t have such a leftovers on your system.

To find our if the package creates any system-wide configuration files in /etc you can use this command (prior to deleting the package!):

sudo rpm -ql fedy | grep ‘/etc’

Then after deleting the package you can check if these files/directories were left behind and decide if you want to keep or delete them.

Again, generally you can leave them be, they shouldn’t be used after you delete the program itself.

And this is again generic recommendation, not specific to Fedy in ant way.

1 Like

That’s the problem, I’ve already checked, and they are not dependent. Tha’t why I’ve put them in 2 commands. However you are right, I can use 'fedy*' though.

Querying through the rpm with rpm -ql is a nice touch, thanks. I forgot I can do that, even though I am using it a work a lot. Just for information it creates files only in /usr/share/fedy

You’re welcome!

That’s the case for many software that packaged not-so-good – not from the repos. It’s prudent to check yourself and not count on how it should be in ideal world )