Proper way to upgrade Fedora? DNF not upgrading everything

Hello,

What is the proper way to upgrade Fedora via terminal? Do I need to upgrade Fedora both via DNF and via GNOME Software? After a successful dnf upgrade, I checked GNOME Software and there were several OS updates that DNF apparently had not upgraded. I do not think they were flatpaks, because one of them was a mutter upgrade, which I am pretty sure is packaged as an RPM. Am I doing something wrong? Should I do a distro-sync instead?

1 Like

Welcome to ask.:fedora:edora @

Upgrading to a new release of Fedora :: Fedora Docs

1 Like

Sorry, I’m asking about how to do regular updates, not release upgrades; because to me it seems like there is some inconsistency because DNF did not fully update everything. I am just wondering why that is and what I am supposed to do.

1 Like

This is expected behavior for the following reasons:

• PakageKit and DNF use separate caches.
  • Mirror selection is random.
  • Mirror update is asynchronous.

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/delayed-updates-with-2-almost-identical-systems/62428/2?u=vgaetera

4 Likes

Hey, @vgaetera, nice to see you here

Wow, so it’s essentially a race condition causing a bug? Seems like that should be filed as a bug, because the updates that I didn’t get the first few times were the ones that would have fixed the bug that prevented my computer from shutting down (pipewire not being killed in a reasonable amount of time).

Is there some way to ensure the system is up to date at any given time via DNF rather than just keep trying dnf --refresh upgrade?

But just to be sure I understand you, when Software shows “OS Updates”, as opposed to something like an update to Builder, are these part of package kit, or part of DNF? I am assuming they are DNF packages and only being displayed in the GNOME Software app as a convenience measure.

It isn’t a bug, you should have got that update no matter what. You just got it a little sooner by doing it manually.

4 Likes

OK, I see what is happening now; it is working properly, I just was checking each one at different times. Thanks everyone

3 Likes