Proposal: topic voting should be anonymous

Right now, voting (on topics, not in polls like this one) is public — you can see who voted. There’s an option to turn that off and make votes anonymous.

I think we should. Rationale:

• there’s only upvotes, not downvotes, so it would encourage “cowardly” negativity
  • there are reactions / likes which are never anonymous, so there’s already a way to indicate a personal response

What do you think? Should votes on topics / questions be anonymous?

Ironically, this straw-poll shows who voted…
  • Yes
  • No
  • Don’t care

0 voters

Same Poll as Above, but Anonymous!
  • Yes
  • No
  • Don’t Care

0 voters

2 Likes

I think it will be amusing if the two polls above end up with different results.

2 Likes

I love the idea of asking the community about anonymity. Unfortunately, even after reading the poll questions two times, I am left a bit uncertain. Dear @mattdm, I like to suggest you substitute the

What do you think?

by a more specific question that you like to ask. That might be “Should votes be anonymous on this platform?”

3 Likes

Added that phrase to clarify.

2 Likes

As a newer user myself, I have to admit the purpose of voting for a post is unclear.

Is it to distinguish a topic as interesting, or otherwise promote engagement? There are already metrics tracking how many views and replies a topic has, which both seem like more straightforward information to me.

Is it to help express that you like or are interested in an entire discussion (as opposed to an individual post)?

Does the voting affect the way a topic appears in the feed/home section for users browsing topics (make the topic appear more recent, etc)?

2 Likes