Question about java in Fedora

Hi! I read this one The Death of Java (packages) - devel - Fedora Mailing-Lists

What that means? Is java stay in fedora ecosystem in future? Is java diying?

2 Likes

Hi @grsm

it means that there aren’t enough community maintainers working on maintaining Java packages in Fedora. Java will continue to be available on Fedora—the JVM/JDK etc. But software and modules written in Java are maintained by volunteers in the same way as Python or packages in any other language. If there aren’t enough volunteer maintainers to take care of these packages, they won’t remain in Fedora.

It’s quite a hard problem because, as you’ll see from the thread, the Java eco-system is not downstream friendly. They are designed to be run with network access so that they can pull the necessary dependencies from the Java registries/repositories—doing all of this online as we must in Fedora is just too hard. Then there are other threads about the new Java Gradle build system which is pretty much impossible to include in Fedora, which means that any module that uses Gradle to build also cannot be included.

So Java, the JVM etc. remains but users will have to install tools/libraries/modules written in Java themselves following instructions directly from the developers.

1 Like

Hi. Thank u for answer. Which modules will be removed for example? Whats about maven it will be present in future?

What modules will be removed is hard to answer. The general rule is “any that does not have a maintainer” (is “orphaned”), or “any that is not building properly”. For example, see:

Maven looks fine for the time being. It has not been orphaned.

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/maven

1 Like

So, despite tending towards sensationalism in general, I think this article Shadow over Fedora 34 as maintainer of Java packages quits with some choice words for Red Hat and Eclipse • The Register covers the situation pretty well:

Following publication of this article, Valentini got in touch to expand on his concerns, and explained to The Reg that: “What I refer to as ‘Java packages’ is only software written in Java – or another language targeting the JVM – but this does not include the OpenJDK packages. The OpenJDK packages themselves are well-maintained.”

He also emphasised that while he has dropped maintaining the Java packages, he remains primary maintainer for some 245 other packages “that I’m happy to keep.”

4 Likes