Qutebrowser: A little bit of advertisement

Hi!
“QtWebEngine is based on Google’s Chromium.”

Maybe someone did not noticed this Web-browser.
There is an Arch Wiki page dedicated to it.

By default it is not comes with password management, and need some addon to render .pdf, but it is also had some workarounds (please: see wiki, search Web, as i’m not really used to this browser yet).

The small pdf.js packaging issue.

No pdf.js installation found

Error while opening qute://pdfjs/web/viewer.html?filename=tmp6nwdju7l_tnc.pdf&file=

qutebrowser can’t find a suitable pdf.js installation

It looks like you set content.pdfjs to true but qutebrowser can’t find the required files.

Possible fixes

• Disable content.pdfjs and reload the page. You will need to download the pdf-file and open it with an external tool instead.
  • If you have installed a packaged version of qutebrowser, make sure the required packages for pdf.js are also installed.
    The package is named pdfjs on Archlinux (AUR) and libjs-pdf on Debian.
  • If you have installed a pdf.js package and qutebrowser still can’t find it, please send us a report with your system and the package name, so we can add it to the list of supported packages.
  • If you’re running a self-built version or the source version, make sure you have pdf.js in qutebrowser/3rdparty/pdfjs . You can use the scripts/dev/update_3rdparty.py script to download the latest version.
  • You can manually download the pdf.js archive here and extract it to /home/vits/.local/share/qutebrowser/pdfjs
    Warning: Using this method you are responsible for yourself to keep the installation updated! If a vulnerability is found in pdf.js, neither qutebrowser nor your system’s package manager will update your pdf.js installation. Use it at your own risk!

If none of these fixes work for you, please send us a bug report so we can fix the issue.

What this Web-browser has

tab-pinning. It is comfortable when the Web-browser asks for confirmation, rather than just closes some important tab outright. Also pinned tabs take less space.

tab-numbering. No longer your will need to remember which Alt + num your should press to access the tab. They are gets enumerated.

The “Preferences” that rocks. Press colon (:), enter “set”, press Enter. Your’ll get an searchable (with /; usual feature these days, though) list of options. With descriptions! One of the most useful is “url.searchengines”. Currently my is:

{"DEFAULT": "https://duckduckgo.com/?q={}", "lex": "https://www.lexico.com/definition/{}"}

so i can press Shift + O:

:open -t lex deadline

and new tab with definition will be opened. Any non URL thing passed to open will go to default search engine.

traffic-saving. In :set your also can block images auto-loading. Somtimes it can come in handy.

ad-block / host-filter. Switched on by default, but have an empty list of rules. Default list can be downloaded with

:adblock-update 

in :set address of blocklist can be specified.

auto_save.session. Turned off by default, but easily switchable.

Tab-key autocompletion. If your used bash or alike your already understand. Say i’ve visited www .example .com. I can press o (or Shift + O to open in new tab) and enter “com www example”. It will work. I can enter “www.exam” and hit Tab-key. It also will work.

bookmarks (and quickmarks, but i’m not yet get in this). :bookmark-add will bookmark active tab. There is some options, though.

keyboard enhanced experience. Press f. Your will see tooltips with alphabetical characters. Clicking on button or link is as simple as pressing f, a (usually). Or any another label happens to be assigned to this thing.
Also your can navigate the pages by hjkl:
j – down
k – up
h – left
l – right
Also your can give commands like :tab-give to reopen some tab in new window, and such. Shortcut to close the tab is d ( :q is closes the browser ).

Update:

1. }} and {{ can press “Next” and “Previous” site’s buttons respectively.
  2. Dont forget to visit the browser’s :help

https://www.qutebrowser.org/quickstart.html

Installable in Fedora with
    dnf install qutebrowser

2 Likes

I was using qutebrowser to respond here on https://ask.fedoraproject.org all the while :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Its a cool browser for those in love with their keyboards. The one thing that gets my goats, however, is the unexplainable crashes when rendering some pages.

1 Like

I get them too, sometimes. If click “Launch using Dedicated Graphics Card” in Gnome it is guaranteed to happens.